Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome >
  • Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

• Can these blocks be used creatively? -- ideas are welcome

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM

http://www.maryquilts.com/twisted-9-patch/
    Here is a pattern that shows how to do the wonky blocks. I think these would look great in a wonky quilt.
    Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 PM

If the sizes are the same ... then use a multicolored or black sashing/background.

If the sizes are different and you want to still use them all. Then that is a different story. You could still use the sashing/background as above but the blocks would then have to be sized with the sashing/background so they would fit well .... unless you are into being very creative.

ali
    Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3
    I would use all but the orange and black one and make it into a quilt.

me too, the wonky block idea would work, OR what dublb said, LOL, I would probably, go with her.
    Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Look up how to set the blocks "wonky". That is where you add the sashing and then intentionally recut them on a tilt. It will hide any size difference and is quite easy. I've been wanting to try the Sahadowbox pattern and these blocks would look good in that style too. The only block I might take out of the ones pictured is the orange one. All the rest will look great together. Good luck .
    we've been talking about this all day on 3 different threads and I agree with tartan completely...it's exactly what i would do with them.... start with 2-3 inch sashing all round, tilt good square ruler and cut the wedges, making sure you get some color all the way along... they will all be the same size on the outside but the amount of the wedge will be different sizes... they look like they need to be pressed really hard with starch and try to get them as flat as possible before adding the strips to the sides...with what we see here i would use black wedges and bring in some more color with the outer borders... but that's just me... picking the brightest color in each block would be great too... this is your chance to really fly with a design and see what is really cool... you didn't spend huge amounts of time or money to get this far but you can bring it back with just a little bit of both...have fun...
    Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dublb
    Here's what I would do. I would measure the biggest one & add black borders onto the others till they are all the same size. Then I'd use red sashing as I sewed 'em together. Then I'd make a small red border then a wide black border to finish it off. Now you do what you want & it'll be great.
    This is just what I'd do, except I'd fix that top right block. It looks like it is just a half square triangle unit that needs to be turned around. Actually not sure if you explained it well Bev. Do you mean to say to add borders to all the blocks then square them up to be the same size?
    Old 01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
    Power Poster

If you add sashing to all of them and cut the sashed blocks to the same size, you could finish it. Not much you can do about the chopped points unless you want to take them apart and resew.
    Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed
    I have been given about 30 orphan blocks and wish I could think of something creative to do with them. The picture shows a few of them. They look pretty good at a distance.

Size of blocks is not consistent, and unfortunately the quilter who made them struggled with accuracy. A lot of the fabrics used are nice quality. I am thinking there must be some kind of scrap quilt that could be made by slicing up these blocks somehow.

I think we have to think outside of the box on this one, because the box is NOT square!

Dayle
    I'd pull the orange one out and set it aside for something else. Square up the blocks the best you can, or maybe sew a tiny border on the smaller ones to make them match better-------------------then set them together using black since that seems to be the common thread.
    Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

I agree with Dublb, although I would probably put them on point or on other angles (after a strong session with sizing and an iron) Like Newbee3, I would probably skip at least the orange one, but that's MY taste talking. My usual approach with my own errors and some printed squares is to encorporate them into scrapy blocks, where they provide a good focus for each block.
    Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 AM

it looks like they all have black in them, maybe you could use black in between them.
    Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
    Here's what I would do. I would measure the biggest one & add black borders onto the others till they are all the same size. Then I'd use red sashing as I sewed 'em together. Then I'd make a small red border then a wide black border to finish it off. Now you do what you want & it'll be great.
    I would do this too....you might end up with just a black border of less that 1/16th but they will all be the same size...too nice work to cut up...IMHO