Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Don't do what I did! >
  • Don't do what I did!

• Don't do what I did!

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM

What about your dryer - does it have starch on the inside now? I can follow your thought process, but thanks for taking it to the end for the rest of us who might be tempted to look for a quick-dry, too. When I want to cut, waiting for the starch to dry always seems to take forever!
    Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kat112000
    Since I have been using starch, I love love it. Starching the fabric before using the Accugo really helps get nice cuts.I have a million 2 1/2 strips to sub cut so I thought I would save myself some time and make a large batch of liquid starch and soak the strips and then toss them into the dryer. What a mess!! It will take me forever to untangle and flatten so they can be pressed!!!! What the heck was I thinking!!!???!!!! So they are in the washing machine right now. That is what I get for being lazy!!!
    Did that with over 200 3" squares once!
    Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 PM

how to wash your fabric or strips and they not tangle. use large saftey pins. layer several strips of material. place a pin at each end, going through the material one time. if the strips are very long place one or two in between the ends. When doing a few yards of material , unfold mat. then fold long way into say 1 yard lengths accordding style. pin sa above. the material will not make a birds nest.
    Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight
    how to wash your fabric or strips and they not tangle. use large saftey pins. layer several strips of material. place a pin at each end, going through the material one time. if the strips are very long place one or two in between the ends. When doing a few yards of material , unfold mat. then fold long way into say 1 yard lengths accordding style. pin sa above. the material will not make a birds nest.
    Best tip I've heard in a long time - thank you!!!!!! My quilting days just got easier thanks to you.....
    Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM

A friend gave me several hundred 5" sqs. that were hand dyed, and yep....guess what I did. Washer and what a big mess that was. Probably not as bad as the strips but a mess just the same. Days later and much frustration (with a few colorful words thrown in) finally got them sorted, threads trimmed and pressed. Do you think there was a single 5" square left in the bunch. HA!!! Well all those little darlings are still in a bag marked some day...
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM

Two hours of cutting threads and I almost have them all apart. I guess I didn't mention the reason for washing them was that Tons of the strips were glued together from the startch and very hard to pull a part.
    Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
    Power Poster

I wanted to wash my ties that I collected for a tie quilt. I put them into the washer not even thinking about them tangling. When I opened the washer they were in one giant ball. It took me about 2 hours to untangle them. I did not put them in the dryer but hung them on the line to dry. Live and learn, live and learn.
    Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 AM

I can't tell you how many times I've done something thinking it would save time only to learn the hard way not to take short cuts. And I still forget that lesson, although I'm getting better. I don't think you are lazy just trying to save time.
    Old 04-04-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by b.zang
    What about your dryer - does it have starch on the inside now? I can follow your thought process, but thanks for taking it to the end for the rest of us who might be tempted to look for a quick-dry, too. When I want to cut, waiting for the starch to dry always seems to take forever!
    Actually, the dryer is good.
    Old 04-04-2012, 05:46 AM

Sorry for your tangles. This sounds like something I would do!