Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • wedding guest quilt in lieu of guest book? >
  • wedding guest quilt in lieu of guest book?

• wedding guest quilt in lieu of guest book?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM

I've seen this done and think its a wonderful idea. You can get help here and google it. Hope I remember this when it become reality for my son.
    Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 AM

My experience with Sharpies on fabric was not good either.
    Dayle
    Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

I did this for my son's wedding reception. I made a heart wreath wall hanging on which I embroidered MY wishes for their marriage. I thought about micron pens, but those can be very frustrating for the uninitiated, so I provided fine point sharpies in 5 or 6 colors. One person at my table offered to take it to the next table....and so on. Nearly everyone signed. One of the first people to sign drew around her toddler's hand, then signed and wrote well wishes inside that. Subsequently, several others did as well. Perhaps because there were several pens and they don't look like everyone's normal pens, I did not have any pens disappear. My daughter in law and her mother, as well as several wedding guests told me how much they liked the idea.

My original idea was just to give the couple my wall hanging. The signature idea was an afterthought from my DH, but a huge improvement.
    Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 AM

An idea that may be completely off base, just an idea-what about making the quilt and then having people sign the finished quilt and then the wedding couple could take it home with them? Or would the fear of someone messing up a square as they sign, spilling punch on the quilt...ok, now I'm having visions of everything that could go wrong with that idea.
    Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM

My sister and I are currently making a signature quilt for family reunion. We took 6 in muslin square and placed 5 in charm diagonally in the corners. We are going to complete quilt prior to reunion. If something happens to it, it will just add to family lore. We are using this pattern found on the net: http://www.bethanyreynolds.com/Kidsquilt/Kidsquilt.html
    Old 04-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I looked at the quilt the school kids made and was impressed by how nice it looked and especially how easy the quilt is to make. 3 pieces and two seams in each block! Wow!!! I think I will do that when I need a signature quilt. It's so easy, you can make it before the big day so no one will write into the 1/4" seams. And if grade school kids can make it, anyone can. What a great teacher!!!
    Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM

that sounds like a very interesting idea
    Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM

I ironed freezer paper to the back of several large white squares of fabric, then gave them to my daughter to have her 2 children draw and color pictures through out the year, ( holidays and seasons) so I could make each of them a quilt. It worked out really well.
    Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

If you are going with the prepared fabric on freezer paper, I would recommend drawing a line 1/2" from the edge all the way around. !/4 for seam allowance, 1/4 for ravelling etc.

I think it is easier to make the quilt in advance, however, because most people in this day and age have no idea what a signature block is for.
    Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM

What I for my wedding had planned on doing is to take this wall hanging wedding themed quilt my hubbys grandma made for our wedding with our names on it and on the back we planned on having people sign or write messages but it would have been too small for the size of wedding we had. it was a small wall hanging of probably 30" at most square. if we had a smaller wedding I definitely would have done this. I also second the idea of making the quilt up before hand and then having people write their messages or sign for the couple. this is the best way to do it. and the simplest. and I would just have a top made up and not have it quilted yet. especially if you are like me and love starch. I would also suggest getting the finest tipped sharpie marker you can get. those work the best. I have used them on fabric for my kids to color the picture in. my dd got a hold of a regular sharpie and it bled really bad in the fabric. this is just my two cents of course.