Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Can someone explain RAK >
  • Can someone explain RAK

• Can someone explain RAK

Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 AM

I'm pretty sure Marilyn knows WHAT a RAK is---what she is wondering is " I am wondering how you get someone's address." As far as I know, Marilyn, the only way is by someone you know or have kept addresses from in your swaps or just sending them a private message requesting their address. you may have to hint at what you have in mind as for your reason for requesting their address! What a very nice, thoughtful thing you are wanting to do. KUDOS to you! now if we could just fill the world with Marilyns!

Originally Posted by MarLeClair
    I have taken a quick look round but can't find out any info about RAK. It looks like you pick someone and send them some goodies. I am wondering how you get someone's address. In the swaps we get the address to send to. Let me know, please. I am feeling "kindness" today.
    Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM

Dar-midlife,
    Thank you for your kind comments. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I was hoping to send something to someone without them knowing who sent it. I think it is awsome when you get something and you know someone was thinking of you but don't know who. Keeps you wondering. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open.
    Old 08-26-2012, 03:26 PM

You are welcome! so well deserved~what is your address?!!!! LOL
    Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 AM
    Swap Hosts

Some of us participate in a RAK group here on the QB. You can take a look here and if you're interested just PM Quilty-Louise who maintains our list.
    Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 AM

I would just go to the PIF section!
    Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM

I have sent boxes of my scraps to some folks here on this board and on another board. I was happy to do it and was even happier when someone said "thank you."
    Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair
    Thanks for the reply but I haven't been around that long. Is there someplace our addresses are listed or a person to contact to get an address? Maybe a moderators?
    LOL, nothing at all organized about a random act of kindness.

Maybe you see a momma with a snotty nosed kid in a stroller while you are coming home from the market------------stop and give her the box of kleenex you just bought for home.

Can be less than my example or much more.
    Old 08-27-2012, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    RAK's are not generally- planned, (random act)
    it is not an (event) or a structured activity
    anyone at any time can participate (commit a random act of kindness)
    you can browse the donations/help wanted sections of forums & send someone something with out expecting anything in return- there are so many things a person can do to just make someone else's moment mean something-be special- be kind- without expectation of reward-or even acknowledgement is what it's all about.
    I know we should never tell our RAK but one that I did a few years back still makes me feel good. In 2005 we had a terrible tornado-----60 miles of destruction and 25 lives lost. The closest it came to me was about 8 miles up the road. No matter which path I took to get to my shopping I passed homes destroyed. So on my way to the grocery I pass a stretch of road that lost a dozen homes. Anyway, this one guy kicked right in and built himself a garage type home to have shelter. The planning commission gave him tons of grief because the footings weren't up to snuff for a home, this wasn't right for a proper home, that wasn't right-------on and on. The tornado was Nov. 6 and on Valentine's Day a few months later the guy was outside his HOME tackling the long list of "to do"s from the planning commission.

Every time I drove thru this area I cried. When the homes started returning I cried. When I saw the residents I cried. So the guy is near his drive way, and God whispered in my ear to stop and offer something. Since I can't help him with his troubles I simply handed him a $20 and told him to buy a couple nice steaks for him and his wife on Valentine's day. (not even sure he had wife).

Valentine's day ought to be day of some joy----------but when a person is rebuilding from a tornado, joy may be hard to find. I hope I gave him some. If nothing else, I left him scratching his head!

Like I said, we shouldn't brag. And I hope this does not sound like bragging. It's just something that hit me and I've felt good about it ever since.
    Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    I know we should never tell our RAK but one that I did a few years back still makes me feel good. In 2005 we had a terrible tornado-----60 miles of destruction and 25 lives lost. The closest it came to me was about 8 miles up the road. No matter which path I took to get to my shopping I passed homes destroyed. So on my way to the grocery I pass a stretch of road that lost a dozen homes. Anyway, this one guy kicked right in and built himself a garage type home to have shelter. The planning commission gave him tons of grief because the footings weren't up to snuff for a home, this wasn't right for a proper home, that wasn't right-------on and on. The tornado was Nov. 6 and on Valentine's Day a few months later the guy was outside his HOME tackling the long list of "to do"s from the planning commission.

Every time I drove thru this area I cried. When the homes started returning I cried. When I saw the residents I cried. So the guy is near his drive way, and God whispered in my ear to stop and offer something. Since I can't help him with his troubles I simply handed him a $20 and told him to buy a couple nice steaks for him and his wife on Valentine's day. (not even sure he had wife).

Valentine's day ought to be day of some joy----------but when a person is rebuilding from a tornado, joy may be hard to find. I hope I gave him some. If nothing else, I left him scratching his head!

Like I said, we shouldn't brag. And I hope this does not sound like bragging. It's just something that hit me and I've felt good about it ever since.
    I think your act did make his day -
    Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Some of us participate in a RAK group here on the QB. You can take a look here and if you're interested just PM Quilty-Louise who maintains our list.
    So how do people that are hoping for something get on the list?