Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help - I have a curve >
  • Help - I have a curve

• Help - I have a curve

Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
    Squared before putting in rows - Check...

I didn't cut the sashing to size, I just merrily sewed along... But - with stretch I can now see how that might have been a dumb thing to do..

Ah well, I am new at this - and have to learn things the hard way...
    Hey I have been sewing/piecing/quilting for over 50+ years, and still learn something new everyday....
    that is what is so wonderful about the board, just think of the hundreds and hundreds of years of expeirance that are here.....sharing with you their learning curves.......

At this point, as I see it you have two choices.....leave it as is sew it together, call it good and do better on the next one........

Or, take it apart, press your removed sashing carefully, and use some spray starch to stabilile it, recheck your width as it might have gotten a little distored during the removal.....measure a couple of your block sets and come up with a good average length. Then cut your sashing that length, fold it in half mark with pin, fold each half into half, mark with a pin....now it is marked into quarters. do the same with your piece of sashing, pin...pin to pin (this is what you would do to have even gathering like on a skirt) Now sew you pieces together, blocks on the bottom, narrow sashing on top. take your time, try to do your best and sew a good straight 1/4" seam.......It should be darn near perfect when done.

Last edited by Deborahlees; 10-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Measure each long edge and see how much difference there is - you could "ease in" if it is less than maybe an inch, but removing the long strip and cutting it to the length of the opposite side will fix the problem for sure.
    Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Hi everyone... Thank you so much for replying to my post. I took all of your advice and came up with a plan that worked..

First I measured everything.. Not too far off, now to deal with the curve... 1 paired the rows, then marked the 1/2 and 1/4s on each row. Then I matched the half and quarters - and eased the rest in pinning, pinning, pinning. Finally, sewed with the white on white on the bottom so it helped in the easing.. Then - when I pressed the sewed together pairs, I starched....

I think it will work. Thank you soo much for your guidance.
    Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM

If all the above suggestions don't help, check your tension--some of your edges look a little wavy to me. The thread could be drawing your fabric up. Just a thought...
    Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM

I don't think it is a cutting problem.
    Old 10-02-2012, 04:54 PM

When I have any sashing, I cut the sashing what the length should be according to what the block measures (or several blocks). Then pin at starting edge and ending edge and fit it in between as I sew. If its quite long, I also pin it evenly across the center section. That will pull up snug any curvy bits.

When sewing long strips it sometimes helps to sew one strip from the top then add the next strip to the bottom edge of that strip and sew in the opposite direction.

Fabric weight can made a difference. That's why most quilters prefer a nice weight cotton with good 'hand' to it so it sews up more evenly and doesn't ruffle. Thinner fabrics sew up differently and can curve.
    Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM

I want to thank all of you for your guidance and advice. I learn so much from this board.

Here is the top all sewed together. I did sew the columns in different directions and spent a lot of time matching the ends, middle and quarters... I am liking it so far.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]367282[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails shadowbox2.jpg  
    Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Nice save Theresa - the top looks great! The same method for making sure these strips fit together well, is what keeps borders from 'waving'!
    Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Thank you Linda... I was just worrying about adding the borders..