Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Gluing is GREAT! >
  • Gluing is GREAT!

• Gluing is GREAT!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Elmer's is available by the GALLON at office supply stores like Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc. It's much cheaper that way.
    Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wardy74
    I have not tried gluing. I will have to see if we have an equivalent to elmers school glue in the uk
    Make sure that you test the glue and fabric on scrap fabric!! When I first tried using Elmers Washable School Glue, I only had a tiny bit; ran to the store and they had a really great special on some other brand. I tried it and it stained my ironing board cover, my fabric, by binding and I had a terrible time getting it off of the iron (even using a pressing sheet). After that experience, I personally, will use nothing but Elmers Washable School Glue.
    Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 AM

I am a True Loyal Believer in Elmers Washable School Glue! I use it all the time now from everything to glueing seams to applique and basting a quilt!
    Old 03-03-2013, 09:11 AM

I started using the Elmer's after watching the Sharon Schamber videos. Love it! Just recently used it to match up seams (instead of pins), couldn't believe how easy it was and the seams matched perfectly. I'm with the others, less is better--"a little dab'll do ya!"
    Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 AM

After my first quilt last year and lots of stabbing with pins, I read on this board about the glue. I used on my second quilt and just finished a baby blanket today (will post pics later). I think I have been using too much glue as it has been stiff, but the washable glue is the best invention for quilting ever! I will be trying the 'less is more' approach on my next quilt! Even with all the extra glue I probably used, it was still the best. At least I have experience with both and know I don't like pin sticks....especially if I am not sick! I pick up a bottle of off-brand washable glue at Fred's for 50 cents every time I go in there and have quite the collection of glue in a bin now.
    Thanks to everyone who ever posted about the advantages of using glue.
    Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 AM

I wanted to say that not too long ago someone posted that Elmer's was made in China. I just couldn't believe it....kinda breaks my heart to see so much from China. Well, I was in the store and looked at 4-5 different products of Elemers and they all stated USA. Just for your info!
    Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Please share the proportions you use when cutting the glue for spraying.
    Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM

Elmer's school glue can be diluted with LOTS of water. I had just a tiny bit left in my
    bottle...quite thick after all these years. LOL I just filled the bottle with water and
    gave it a good shake. Got 90% of my quilt basted then finished with another washable
    glue. In other words...don't hesitate to dilute the glue...it will still work. If it drips...just
    wipe it with your finger and carry on. I had a little accident because I didn't clamp my
    batting on. I had an ugly crease in the batting and I knew I couldn't live with that so
    I just sprayed and sprayed with water until it was soaking wet then unglued that part
    up to the edge then soaked up the water with a dry towel. Didn't have to add
    more glue just pressed and it was like nothing happened. Happy glue basting!
    Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM

I just "discovered" using Elmers glue. I have been using that instead of pins to match seams in a postage stamp quilt. I love it!
    Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM

I tried it and I will NEVER use pins again! I did my sandwich in grids....let dry 24 hrs..and quilt away.....wash afterwards....and beautiful!!!!