Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Muscle Spasms when machine quilting - make it go away. >
  • Muscle Spasms when machine quilting - make it go away.

• Muscle Spasms when machine quilting - make it go away.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM
    QM
    Power Poster

Besides relaxing and breathing, remember to pause every few minutes and roll your shoulders and also get up and really stretch every 15 min.
    Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Auntpiggylpn, I think you meant to say that your elbows should be at a 90 degree angle. I agree that having the machine inset into the table at the proper height makes a huge difference, not only in ergonomics/comfort but also in ease of maneuvering the quilt (which in the long run contributes to your comfort too). As far as quilting at a longarm, it can be easier on the body simply because you are not wrestling the quilt, and you are moving more often, not sitting in one position for long periods of time.
    Oops! yes I did mean 90*!! Thanks for catching that!!!
    Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
    Power Poster

I got rid of the neck and shoulder pain by placing my machine on my cutting table and quilting standing up. I made a styrofoam surround for my machine so I would have a flat surface for quilting; will post the Youtube videos that show how to do this. I have a frame setup now but, when I did quilt with the DSM, the only way I did it was standing up. Takes all the stress off the shoulders.

Here are the Youtube videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY
    Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 AM

You may also be dehydrated - drink more water, also your Physician may be able to prescribe Flexiril - it is an anti-spasmotic. I drink lots of water and still have spasms due to numerous back surgeries, the Flexiril helps tremendously.
    Old 03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

Proper ergonomics, a good chair, and regular breaks make all the difference. Don't forget to breather and don't let your shoulders hunch up to your ears.
    Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM

I do need my chair higher than you'd think. I've even used a kitchen stool when my machine was not recessed in a cabinet. I had the same problem with my shoulders when I started. A child's backpack with 4 pounds of weight in it helped my shoulders and my lower back, too. I don't need it anymore. Clotilde's and other retailers sell a better looking back pack for this, but I'd rather spend my extra money on fabric.
    Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 PM
    Power Poster

I've said before how much I love my quilt guild. The guild had a workshop and had a PT come and evaluate and suggest cutting height, chair height and sewing machine height with each of us. The chair height was different for most of us even the ones that were about the same height. Some had longer legs. Many were not looking down but holding their neck down when sewing causing all kinds of problems with shoulder and back. Keep your neck straight and look down, don't bend your head down. It took practice to always do the right thing but now it's second nature to me. It has made a difference in how I feel after I sew or cut for a long time. It would be well worth going to a PT to be shown the correct way to sit and sew for your body type.
    Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
    Banned

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I know my chair is too low. My table is a make do right now - just a 6' folding table and the machine is too high for the chair. I may just try the standing up suggesting at my kitchen island, see how that goes until I can get a better table. It just moved up the priority list. I knew this would happen, I have a hard time with this at work all the time. Just came home in pain tonight. argh I want to quilt some more!
    Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM

I don't know what it is called but it fits over your shoulder with a weighted bag that hits waist level. It helps me a lot but all the other things need to be done also such as chair height, arms, etc.
    Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
    I don't know what it is called but it fits over your shoulder with a weighted bag that hits waist level. It helps me a lot but all the other things need to be done also such as chair height, arms, etc.
    Think I saw this in Nancy's Notions catalog.

Longarm quilting has its own set of physical issues. So it wouldn't be a total solution either. Taking frequent breaks is always important when sewing. (Do as I say - Not as I do. I get involved and forget until it hurts and I'm reminded.)