Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Any one here use "the pounce" >
  • Any one here use "the pounce"

• Any one here use "the pounce"

Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 AM

I have a Pounce and have used it for hand quilting. I dislike the "mess" it leaves on the stencil when rubbing. I have the white and blue, but have only used the white. You would seem to need 2 pounces to use the 2 colors, changing the colors with a single pounce would be messy and time consuming. I am going to try to use a foam brush to mark the next stencil. I do not hand quilt frequently, even though I am working on a hand quilted project, as I have come down with a bit of rhumatoid arthritis in my index finger.
    Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 AM

I just got the "Pounce", so sometime this week I will be trying it out.
    Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM

I took a class last yr and she said to spray the top lightly after marking and the pounce will stay put while you quilt. She loves it. I've gotten some but haven't used it yet. I have used a sliver of soap. I liked that.
    Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 AM

I have one and for the right job it is GREAT!! I find it really helpful when marking crosshatching.
    Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=nhweaver;5922880 I am going to try to use a foam brush to mark the next stencil.[/QUOTE]

I put a small amt of the chalk in a custard cup or left over butter tub. I dip the edge of the foam brush in the chalk and swipe like you are instructed to do with the pounce pad. I really like the size of the brush. If I only want part of a stencil, I can do that with the brush. If you use a butter tub, you can just pop the top back on, ready for next time.
    Now I just have to test my two bags of chalk. I have both the brush off and the iron off...but they are not marked! WAAAA! Guess I will be doing a test piece soon!
    Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM

"Miracle Chalk" that's what I meant, not "magic", lol...it does kinda work like magic though. And if I mess up before I stitch, I can just wipe it away with a dry washcloth and re-do it. I kind of mark as I go, it can rub off a bit while "puddling" the quilt during quilting. So far I'm very happy with it.

Originally Posted by Holice
    There are two kinds that look alike. The pounce is chalk The second is filled with a different white powder or Miracle Chalk. the first of chalk will wipe off easily. The second does not and can be removed with a steam iron.
    The miracle chalk stays on longer. Definitely use a rubbing motion like erasing on a black board for the miracle chalk.
    Miracle Chalk only is available in white. The company has not been able to find a color that will come off with steam.
    There have been some reports of the blue chalk available in the Pounce not coming off when brushed.
    Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM
    Power Poster

I use the powder with a foam brush. It still goes on a bit thick but more consistently AND it does iron off with steam.
    Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    I took a class last yr and she said to spray the top lightly after marking and the pounce will stay put while you quilt. She loves it. I've gotten some but haven't used it yet. I have used a sliver of soap. I liked that.
    Judy: sorry to ask, but do you spray the top with?
    Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

i have the one that washes out, not irons off. my stencil was of vine and leaves and the cover of the pouncer kept catching on the sharp areas of the cut stencil. i ended up really "pouncing" but it worked fine anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails 010-copy.jpg  
    Old 03-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Judy: sorry to ask, but do you spray the top with?
    Not a problem. She said after she marks her quilt she sprays it and it'll stay there during the whole quilting process. I'm sure it would only need a light spraying but it would be great to reduce the mess. She was teaching a class last yr in Raleigh at the sewing n quilt expo.