Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble? >

Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

Thimbles - what is your favorite - or do you even use a thimble?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I have a basket full of thimbles from brass to sterling. The one I use all the time is this one: http://stores.delphinesquiltshop.com...ble/Detail.bok
Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM

I use various sizes,depending on how much swelling I have. I just use the cheapo ones ,but I learned to be comfortable using a thimble by wearing it all day,while I did housework etc.( that was in the oldendays
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 AM

peaceandjoy, you are leading me down the rabbit hole....& an expensive one at that...am on the fence about the Roxanne or Thimblelady. Seems like these are the cadillac of thimbles. I feel naked without a thimble, but have never seemed to find the "magic" one.

I think I will just sit here on the fence until someone knocks me over with a definate "buy this one"..
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM

I don't think you could go wrong with either a Roxanne or a Thimblelady. I have a Thimblelady, but prefer the Roxanne.

At one point the Thimblelady was available as a plastic version for less than $20. If she still sells them, you could try that before you invest in the stainless steel version.

Janet
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have a basket full of thimbles from brass to sterling. The one I use all the time is this one: http://stores.delphinesquiltshop.com...ble/Detail.bok
I have hard time finding a thimble that fits with a very crooked finger joint - this looks like it might be my answer!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

Here is a simple solution to getting a thimble to fit comfortably. Get a inexpensive metal thimble and then with a hammer whack it a few times on the rim until it becomes oval shape. It really feels so much better on the finger because your finger is oval shaped.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnMyra View Post
You use a Thimblelady thimble too NJ Quilter! That's great. Gosh I could hardly believe my eyes. I have only met one other quilter who even knows what they are about and I read you from Central NJ!
G'day! Yep! Actually on my second stainless one - wore holes in the first! And since sterling is softer than stainless I don't think I'll go with anything but that!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
I don't think you could go wrong with either a Roxanne or a Thimblelady. I have a Thimblelady, but prefer the Roxanne.

At one point the Thimblelady was available as a plastic version for less than $20. If she still sells them, you could try that before you invest in the stainless steel version.

Janet
My recommendation as well. If you go to the website, follow their fitting instructions. I found the instructions to be very accurate and easy to follow. And buying the plastic one first was exactly what I did. Was very happy with the fit and found the style of thimble easy to use. When I upgraded to the stainless version the fit was identical.

ETA - Let me clarify my comments are regarding Thimblelady. No clue about Roxanne's other than they are very beautiful.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Roxanne's need to be sized - it's usually best to buy them at a quilt shop if they have them. I bought both of mine at quilt shows. It gave me a chance to try it on and make sure I had the right size.

If they aren't sold locally, you can buy a sizer. ColonialNeedle.com is the site that sells them.

Janet
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post

Janet
Lol, I was just about to reply that of the two, I prefer the Thimblelady one... The fit is more forgiving. So as your fingers swell (when it's hot and humid, as it is here during our summers), or when other things cause your fingers to plump up, it still fits well. I think on her website, she says that up to two sizes can be fit in one thimble.

Watch e-bay - you never know. They've had them on there every now and again.