Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I did not realize that I was following a dress code >

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

Old 06-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
Can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose! I always wear shoes I slip on, tennies and all.... Wearing capris or long jeans, I must be with the "in" crowd. : )
That's it! We are the "In Crowd"! Sometimes I feel a little wild and crazy and will wear my purple crocs. DH does not mind as long as I don't color my hair purple.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:28 AM

Add another to the ranks, I dress just like all who have posted...Dress and heels??? I don't remember what they are...lol
Old 06-09-2013, 04:46 AM
BCM

The way I rationalize it is that I have lived long enough to select comfort.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:56 AM

I wear shorts and shirts summer and winter even if the weather is freezing, It is always too warm in the house for me. I do not wear jeans and often wonder how anyone does. I think I am dressed up in capris when I go to the doctor or shoppin. I do dress up for church but usually wear knee highs and flats. If I wear anything higher than and inch my back hurts for days.
One of my cousins said to me one day when I had come from church, "you should dress up more often, You look great and your stance is even different. I can see confidence all over you." I guess I am just a slob because I will wear a favorite shirt, shorts, or nightie until it is in shreds. lol
Old 06-09-2013, 05:24 AM

pardon me if I seem out of place here, but even though I no longer work, I still make the effort to look put together. I take time to iron my slacks - I love a sharp crease. My blouses are not saved 'for good' because everyday I feel I deserve to be wearing 'good'. When I'm dressed nicely, I feel good and I walk straight and tall and 'with a purpose'. And I find people just treat me better than when, on very rare occasions, I'm dressed too casually. At nearly 61 years old and 46 pounds lighter than this time last year, I have learned I am worth the effort to look my best.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
pardon me if I seem out of place here, but even though I no longer work, I still make the effort to look put together. I take time to iron my slacks - I love a sharp crease. My blouses are not saved 'for good' because everyday I feel I deserve to be wearing 'good'. When I'm dressed nicely, I feel good and I walk straight and tall and 'with a purpose'. And I find people just treat me better than when, on very rare occasions, I'm dressed too casually. At nearly 61 years old and 46 pounds lighter than this time last year, I have learned I am worth the effort to look my best.
If it makes you feel good to dress nice than enjoy it. It does not make me feel good to dress up. I can't wait to kick off the shoes. And if it's okay for DH to dress in jeans and t-shirt it should be okay for me to. I know our love for each other is strong enough for us to be ourselves around each other.

In other words, I won't apologize for not dressing up because that is what makes me feel good and you don't apologize for dressing up because that is what makes you feel good.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 AM

T-shirt with jeans in summer (too many mosquitoes for shorts, I'm a mosquito magnet). Sweats in winter. I've found that as I get older, I dress for my comfort, if anyone doesn't like it, they don't have to look. I still cringe when I think of the high heels of my younger days. I have to say that I quit all that and cut my hair to my liking when I divorced my first dh 40 some-odd years ago. My current (and forever) dh likes me just fine the way I am.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 06-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
T-shirt with jeans in summer (too many mosquitoes for shorts, I'm a mosquito magnet). Sweats in winter. I've found that as I get older, I dress for my comfort, if anyone doesn't like it, they don't have to look. I still cringe when I think of the high heels of my younger days. I have to say that I quit all that and cut my hair to my liking when I divorced my first dh. My current (and forever) dh likes me just fine the way I am.
I don't know if Avon still makes it, but when we lived in Florida I used to use a lot of Skin so Soft. Even soaked my dog in it to keep the fleas away.

I'm 5'8" and I remember wearing those high heels. Some were so high I would be nearly 6'! Platform shoes were very dangerous. I remember when Cher started wearing them and women and teen girls had to have them. A lot of girls broke their ankles wearing them including one of my cousins. And tight jeans beat a girdle any day! Lay on the bed, suck in that gut, and slowly zip up the jeans. Never again!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Comfort trumps fashion for me. I can't even remember the last time I wore high heels.
WARNING if its been that long ago that you can not remember DO NOT TRY THIS WITH OUT SUPERVISION..I kept a few pairs of heels Put on a pair with only a 3 inch heel the other day ago just standing up in them I sway like a tree in the breeze--the first step was like a wind sheer put me right on my butt.So now I'm trying to figure out which pair of tenny shoes will look appropriate with a dressy dress -The ones with zippers or the lace up's... : )
Old 06-09-2013, 06:42 AM

Im 73 and have never been a fan of high heels. My feet are in very good shape.
My biggest gripe right now is about tee shirts. They have big necklines and very short sleeves. Not good for older women. I want tight v necks and sleeves that hit the middle of my upper arm.