Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Anyone know of an EASY pattern for a quilted bag?? >
  • Anyone know of an EASY pattern for a quilted bag??

• Anyone know of an EASY pattern for a quilted bag??

Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Thank you!
    Nancy
    Old 08-18-2013, 12:13 PM

One or more of the big box stores i.e. Lowe's or Home Depot, has a rug/carpet section and we found a waffle type non-slip backing to put under throw rugs, long runners, and such. Works well on our wood floors.
    Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by nancylee
    The construction should be easy, I can do stars and stuff.

And while I am asking, what would you use on the back of a quilted rug? I saw a gorgeous one the other day, but I didn't like the back, seemed like it would slip? Burlap, maybe?

Thank you!
    nancy
    I just made a quilted rug. I used Super Grip. Just spray it on. My DSIL came over and did the scuff w/the foot to see if she could move it. Not an inch.

Here is the link to that post

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t226498.html

JoAnn's is supposed to have a similar product. Haven't tried it. But w/a 50% off coupon, it would be worth it to try it.
    Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Yes, just going to suggest Jenny Doan's tutorial which uses 5" charm squares. I am going to use up all the ones
    that I have bought, that I just loved and couldn't do without. You understand. This is to be my next project.
    Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I have used silicone caulking on the backs of a few rugs. I didn't make them; just bought a few for in front of the kitchen sink etc that were not backed and slippery. so, I got out the tube of silicone caulk I had for around the tub and squeezed thickish strips about 2 inches apart along the length of the rug. let it dry over night and works great.
    Originally Posted by charsuewilson
    There is some non-stick stuff that you put under rugs. But I've had trouble getting it to stay in place. You could sew it on and then it would stay.

I was thinking of something else, though. An aunt (now deceased) gave us some t-shirt decorations made of needle-punch (like a rug, made with yarn). She sprayed or spread a product on the back that allows it to stick on the t-shirts, then taken off and stick on something else. It won't stick any more if it gets dirty. I think it was a product made by Alene. I looked for it in stores and I was never able to find it. Maybe someone else knows what it is.
    Old 08-19-2013, 07:48 AM

I have. Pattern by Green Bug called the Vera Bag. The first one I just used interfacing, the last 3 I used fusible fleece. They are very easy to make. Here is a link to the thread I posted this summer of 2 of the purses I made.http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t223661.html
    Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM

Default simple quilted tote

Here is what I do for quilted bags. Regardless of the pattern for the purse, make your quilted fabric first. I take the patchwork I want to use, or just one fabric piece, as you wish and quilt it down to some cotton batting, such as hobbs or warm and natural. I can quilt it with the batting next to the feed dogs and have no problems. Then I use a separate piece for the lining. Sometimes I use up batting scraps by connecing them up to the right size. Quilting a small piece, half yard, is easy and good practice for getting your stipple or meandering done well. I have a simple pattern for a tote. It uses two half yards. Quilt up one half yard. Cut 3" off the top of each piece, that is the short side. Four strips 3" by approx 18". These will be your handles. stitch up the handles making a tube of quilted fabric, open at both ends, center handles on right side of quilted fabric....18"side. I usually just consign the lining piece to the scrap bin. Pin the handles in place, place lining over this so right sides are together with handles inside. Stitch through all layers across this sandwich, at the tops. Open it out and you will have a sort of tube. Place rst of lining, and then of quilted layers, leaving an opening for turning on lining side. Make sure that both top seams are lined up exactly. Turn to right side. stitch up lining opening with one eighth seam. tuck lining inside and top stitch around the bag top to help keep the lining inside the bag. Alternately you can box the bottoms.
    Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Check out Lazy Girl. There are some easy bagsd there that could be quilted. froggyintexas
    Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM

I think there's a product, intended for hooked or latched rungs to keep the yarn from pulling out, that is a sort of liquid latex that you paint on with a brush. Ask at Michael's or Joann's or other craft store.
    Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    Jenny Doan has a tutorial on YouTube for an easy peasy quilted bag. My friend, Fran, here on the board, can whip three of them out in a day.
    As Jcrow said, I can easily make 3 of Jenny Doan's bags in a day. I have made 21 of the bags so far and love making them. I give them to my daughters, granddaughter, and to foster children. I am getting ready to make some more of the bags. The things I do differently are that I add pockets to the lining, add a 2" Velcro closure, and use stiff iron on interfacing in the handles. Also, I use Soft and Stable for the batting. Everyone who gets one of the bags loves it. Jenny's pattern is so very easy; but it makes a beautiful bag.