Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Baby quilt ideas >
  • Baby quilt ideas

• Baby quilt ideas

Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 PM

This type of quilt is good with fat quarters. Just substitute the masculine fabrics for baby fabrics!

Pattern is called Bailey's Quilt.
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
    This site has several easy patterns that would really showcase your special fabrics

http://www.azblankets4kids.com/patterns.htm
    Thank you, quite a few there to choose from. I've decided to try a shadow box, forsure. I know this will not put much of a dent in my fat quarters. Will choose something from that site.
    Old 09-11-2013, 06:37 AM

If there are any 12" quilt blocks you like but haven't attempted in a quilt, you could triple the size and make a 36" baby blanket and add borders if you want it bigger. That could use up your fat quarters.
    Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

You might try this one to showcase fabric prints as I did on this post. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t229850.html

I cut my squares at 7" with 1.5" cut sashings and set on point to make a small lap quilt of 12 blocks. But you could cut larger and set straight to get the same size.

Jan in VA
    Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Depending on how many you have and who they are going to, like if you want to keep a few on hand for baby showers. I make infant carrier blankets and then a baby quilt that matches. If you take a fq iron it and make it "squared" up 18x22 or so size, then you take a really really soft soft fabric like minky or even flannel (depends on time of year and climate) then you cut the soft fabric about 22x24/25" then you sew them together on three sides turn inside out and press open then fold in and down the soft fabric and sew it with about 1-3" "lip" the finished size should be about 19-20isd x 21" give or take. this is perfect size to tuck around a baby in an infant carrier/swing/bouncy seat. I have made a dozen or so of them and my sil uses them for her baby girl and I have given them as gifts. I wish that i had these when my two were little because they are great and wonderful they don't fall off the baby like a blanket and you don't have to worry about the baby covering their face with them because there is not the extra folded over blanket to mess with.
    Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 AM

There's lots of free crib quilt patterns available on the web, just search free crib quilt patterns. Also check out fabric websites, they also have a lot of free patterns. I find a lot of free patterns on Ericas website. Search under fabric.
    There's so many to choose from, hope you find one you like. Glad to see you plan to use children's prints.
    They have so many wonderful bright colorful children's prints these days for crib/lap quilts.
    Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 AM

Atkinson's "Lucky Stars" pattern makes a nice baby quilt and is very FQ friendly
    Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM

I just looked at the Wickedly Easy quilt pattern again found in another thread today. It uses FQs and has good directions for a quick baby quilt. Just google the quilt name and the full pattern pops up.
    Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM

I like the Yellow Brick Road for a baby quilt; only needs 6 fat qrtrs so you could make TWO!!!