Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie? >

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Top Tips for a New Quilter... what would you tell a newbie?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 AM

I couldn't thread a sewing machine until I took early retirement four years ago. The actual sewing was the easy part - it was the mysteries of the machine itself that scared me!

I can't emphasise enough the importance of a simple machine 'checklist' - how to thread, bobbin, changing a needle, tension etc. The instruction book itself can be extremely daunting, especially when you don't know what you are looking for and the correct terminology.

I once spent a tearful afternoon trying get it to sew and couldn't (I later discovered the bobbin was in the wrong way). I nearly gave up sewing all together and can remember the sheer frustration vividly.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Patience!! It takes time to make/sew things.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Teach the machine first and then a small project would probably be best to start.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I always tell them its a very expensive hobby.
I love this!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

And if she finds a different and better to her way of doing things and it works for her, don't let anyone try and "retrain" her.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I think the pillowcase is a great idea! It's simple sewing, but she has something nice to show for her effort. I would stress the 1/4" seam. Be sure and explain how to iron by pressing only. Have her wear a safety glove so she doesn't slice a finger while learning. That's a sure way to scare someone off of sewing.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:41 PM

I love doghousemom's answer - very complete - and the only thing I would add is if possible start her on a pattern that doesn't require too many "perfect" intersections to look right. A good beginner sample might be a nine patch (to show nesting seams) alternating with an unpieced square.

Lucky her, having you to teach her!

Alison
Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 PM

If you decide not to have her start with an actual quilt, a tote bag might be a good thing? She could create a few blocks....repetition is a great way to learn...and then make a simple tote bag out of them.

Could work...just an idea.

Dina
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Ditto what Doghouse mom said. My niece is only 8 and has been coming over putting little scraps together. When she first started about6 months ago the first thing she had to do was associate the manual with the machine. She also learned how to clean it. She has gotten really good at it. She spent about 1/2-2 hours going through a scrap box and laying pieces together on her own little design wall. Dh put it together for her in an old binder. I printed up some blocks for her and she uses her crayons to color them. She then picks small scraps she thinks will work in that particular block. Then pins it to her little design wall. Actually. we had some flannel I didn't care about and cut it up and attached it to the large index pages. Keeps her designs in tact and portable. She takes these to her art teacher once in awhile. Her teacher's mother quilts also.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:15 PM

A small pieced pillow for the couch also is a great beginners project. I also found having a 1/4 inch foot was a huge help for me.