Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wow, I guess I don't know my own strength >
  • Wow, I guess I don't know my own strength

• Wow, I guess I don't know my own strength

Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM

My Bertha was one of the first ones made and it was a bear to put togather. It had a few flaws but I have had it for years now and it works fine. No problem with the bolts though. I never use the lift so don't know if it works or not.
    One thing I do not like about it is the sides only fold over the top not down the sides so it is open all the time. It is 7 ft long. Had to have it cause my machine is larger than regular machines and wouldn't fit in a regular cabinet.
    So true about groceries but a good laugh anyway.
    Old 11-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    One thing I do not like about it is the sides only fold over the top not down the sides so it is open all the time. It is 7 ft long. Had to have it cause my machine is larger than regular machines and wouldn't fit in a regular cabinet..
    I agree with that-it would be nice if you could fold the top down and still keep the machine out. But I had the same issue-my machine is big and other cabinets wouldn't fit. At least none that have the back leaf, which was one of my must-haves. I do want to be able to hide it away completely when I'm not sewing (I go through phases where I don't sew much at all) so I wanted something that would allow me to do that too. We just want it all, don't we. lol.
    Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 AM

So! where were you yesterday when I couldn't un screw the cap off my Pepsi. Seriously! I tried until my hand hurt..... lol !
    Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
    I guess we just get stronger as we age. 50 years ago when I first got married it took me several trips and both hands to carry $25 worth of groceries into the house. Today, I can carry $25 worth of groceries into the house in one trip using only one hand. LOL
    So funny. Haaaaaa
    Old 11-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan

"everything our Government imports for us to buy are usually made in China. just saying."

I am having trouble understanding this reply post. The government doesn't import anything for sale in the commercial market. Private companies import things, to satisfy demand, from all over the world. Many things are imported (by private companies, not any government!) from the Far East where manufacturing costs are lower (albeit because of what would be substandard wages in the US, Australia and Canada) in response to demand for cheap goods.

The government's only role in importation is the exercise of laws regarding tariffs, food purity, product safety, etc. There may be laws regarding the amount of a given product that may be imported (this is most common re: agricultural products,) but the products are purchased or manufactured abroad by private companies that import them.
    Old 11-05-2013, 01:26 PM

I guess we just get stronger as we age. 50 years ago when I first got married it took me several trips and both hands to carry $25 worth of groceries into the house. Today, I can carry $25 worth of groceries into the house in one trip using only one hand. LOL
    I remember those days. I was single and living on my own 500 miles from home. Three years later, I married. Our combined salaries were less than $7,000 before any deducts. We used about $10-12 a week for eating out, going to the movies at least once a week, and buying an LP or two and other sundries. We lived better in those days than we did when his salary was $20,000-25,000, and our house was paid off, too, by then.
    Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan

"everything our Government imports for us to buy are usually made in China. just saying."

I am having trouble understanding this reply post. The government doesn't import anything for sale in the commercial market. Private companies import things, to satisfy demand, from all over the world. Many things are imported (by private companies, not any government!) from the Far East where manufacturing costs are lower (albeit because of what would be substandard wages in the US, Australia and Canada) in response to demand for cheap goods.

The government's only role in importation is the exercise of laws regarding tariffs, food purity, product safety, etc. There may be laws regarding the amount of a given product that may be imported (this is most common re: agricultural products,) but the products are purchased or manufactured abroad by private companies that import them.
    There you go being all logical. I had a brain blip when I saw that post and then thought maybe it was me being confused.
    Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

Remember thoae days well.. DH was in college and working fulltime for $250/month, I was working as an RN for $350/month and that was with my $50 for working the evening shift. We owned our home and had no bill.
    Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM

I think replacing them is a good idea, but I would let the company know they have a faulty product. Stuff happens and they are usually very happy to fix it
    Old 11-05-2013, 05:12 PM

dh thinks that it's normal for someone as weak as myself, armed with a socket and a box end wrench, to be able to shear off a bolt like that. He must think I'm a superhero. I'll call (didn't get a chance today) and request new ones but in the meantime I may just get ones that are made to be harder. I don't want to have to do all the adjustments again but if I replace them one at a time maybe it will stay put.