Non quilting interests

Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 AM

For several years I was quite into photography and am in a Scottish new mini car club, going out on runs en masse, obsessing about if 'Dougall' (my car's name) has a thick enough coat of wax, if he needs new shoes, fainting at the thought of scratches lol. I still love my mini but am more a passive member now rather than being out there in the midst of whatever was going on. I stopped work last year and not really thought about doing voluntary stuff, not yet. I think I'm still recuperating from having done one of those deeply unpopular, unappreciated jobs that gets so much negative press coverage, yet is most unfortunately necessary. In time I think I will do something but not quite sure what yet.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Music! But, some of that is work, but I love it. Play for church, weddings, teach some, etc.

My chickens. I love them, they're so cute when they're out bopping around in the yard.

I watch my nephew after school - I love him, he's a great kid. I pick him up, then we hang out at my place until his Mom is off work and he heads home.

Translate on demand for hospitals, usually local or not too far. Not a lot since I don't know the high demand languagues here well enough, but once every other week or so?

But I'm still in the work world, and I like that
Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I go to the gym 4 mornings a week. Can't say I look forward to going but always feel better after I am done. I've made a few friends there so we motivate each other. The other morning I have a very part time job which doesn't hurt my head and ends with lunch with my coworkers. I do support the local food bank with $$.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I volunteer with the local fire company auxiliary and DH & I fly hot air balloons for fun and as a side business. I occasionally do some charity quilts. Should do more of those. Have the nieces/nephew sometimes or other friends kids. Haven't been working in a few years now. Would really like some part time work but can't justify working for the low rate most part time jobs pay.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:22 PM

My daughter and I used to volunteer for Special Olympics....bowling. We tied shoes, kept track of players, took 'em to the restroom....but the athletes kept they're score sheets and kept track of who went next. It was a lot of fun, but one thing I learned....NEVER use a rented bowling ball...there's icky stuff in the finger holes and it doesn't necessarily get cleaned out.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

May I tell you how this topic convicted me?! I sat for several minutes and thought about how I've let myself become quiet and isolated over the past 5 years. I hurt so much of the time that I've let that be an excuse to not participate any more.

But I'm going to change that in 2014!!! Water aerobics 3x a week and editing the guild newsletter once a month just won't do it for me any more. I promise myself I will find a new interest where I can give back and I will do it with passion!
Thank you, thank you for mentioning that I need to get the fires lighted again!

Jan in VA
Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mighty
Seems I do not have any non quilting interests. Maybe I need to get more involved sounds like a wonderful thing to do!!!!
I quilt in the morning, quilt in the afternoon and quilt in the evening. All my neighbors are knitters !!! It is hard to get around when you have to give up your Driver's License !!!
Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM

I have 4 more years to retirement when I can really start to enjoy my hobbies. Until then I am just frustrated that I never have enough time. Hubby and I built a new house this year and next year will be mostly putting in a yard and building a shop. At least the shop will house Hubby's woodworking tools and stash (hardwood). My silversmithing studio will also get a corner.

My signature says it all ...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

I still work full time, have a pet bird, 3 cats and 1 little dog. Cleaning up hair and cat litter every other day, bird feed, and dog food crumbs is about all I need. I work on a quilt every night and weekends while doing chores. I still have my Husband of almost 52 years.
I am not a people person, love to be home. I was a non-driving, stay at home Mom for twenty five years.
I did lots of things most stay at home Moms didn't do. I started driving at thirty five. I use to have other hobbies, now I only sew.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM

I've been retired for almost 2 years now. In January I got involved with the quilt guild and go many Tuesdays to visit with others and be inspired. I still keep in touch with my work friends and go to dinner with them every 4-6 weeks or so. I spend a lot of time with my grandkids and go to all of their events, sometimes drop over to my daughter's house and clean as a surprise. I also take my Mother shopping, to church and to dinner on Sunday nights. I also really enjoy staying home and spending time with my husband. I bake once day a week and cook one day a week. When working and the kids were young I was team mom and room mom the whole time they were in school.