Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem W/Hobbs Wool batting >

Problem W/Hobbs Wool batting

Problem W/Hobbs Wool batting

Old 12-24-2013, 09:39 AM

i second ck. mine haven't ever looked like that. i often lay them out for a night or two before using them, but something has gone wrong in the packaging of the lot yours came from.

so sorry!

aileen
Old 12-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Hobbs prides itself on customer service, so much so that they publicly publish ways to get a hold of the top dogs. Contact them! http://www.hobbsbondedfibers.com/team.html
Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Try putting it in the dryer on low heat or just air. I know it works with poly and W and N batting. Shake it out so all the folds are unfolded and put in the dryer for about 20 minutes.
I ALWAYS bought Hobbs 80/20 on the roll. Try the above suggestions. With the cotton batting, I use to lightly spray it and then place it in the dryer on low heat. NOT sure if you can do that with wool. Since it is Christmas eve day, you might check their website. PM me if you need a contact person and phone number.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Contact the company with your pictures. They should replace it since it is clearly defective. (Now I'm wondering about the package in my closet!)
I got bad batting from Hobbs. I called them up and they wanted a "sample " of the bad batting. I sent it to them and they sent me another package! Great customer service. I always let my batting "relax" over nite or put it in the dryer with a damp towl for about 10 minutes to get the wrinkles out. I FMQ on my domestic machine so I am not sure if this is the way you all do it when using a LA.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:33 PM

I have not had a Hobbs batting look like that... I have had a few inexpensive poly battings that look like that. As the others said, I would contact the manufacture.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:14 PM

I agree with bigsister63. I have now used the wool batting as well as warm and natural cotton batting. The day before I am going to need it, I dampen a towel and put the batting and towel in the drying for 10-20 minutes on low (I check it out, take it out and readjust it, put it back in 3 times during the cycle) and take it out immediately at the 20 minute time and lay it out (on the spare bed or on the floor of my quilting room) to relax a bit before it has to go through the quilting procedure. I have had very good luck doing it this way, sorry about your experience.

Last edited by QuiltingHaven; 12-26-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:15 PM

I have had one 80/20 like that, it was purchased at the LQS and I took it back and they gave me another one. I use a lot of it (at least 8 a month) and that is honestly the only time I have ever had an issue. I mentioned that I didn't want them to get stuck and they said no problem, that they would get it replaced free so they weren't out anything.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I would send it back or same here. Wait for their suggestions and go from there.
Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Contact the company with your pictures. They should replace it since it is clearly defective. (Now I'm wondering about the package in my closet!)
Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I would contact the company with those pictures BEFORE doing another thing to that batting!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:09 PM

I, too, would contact Hobbs. Also, I would NOT do anything to the batt...you want it to look the way it came from the bag so Hobbs can see the problems themselves. Do you still have the bag it came in? Sometimes there may be lot numbers or production numbers that companies want to try and track problems (having never used Hobbs, I don't know if they do this). Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Anita