what to do

Old 01-23-2014, 04:08 AM

I'd go with the hand piecing suggestion, I have 2 going and they are fun to grab and go and they are very satisfying.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Oh my stars what were you thinking Hurry - get going -Find some 2nd hand stores. Browse them frequently in search of a sewing machine. I would feel as naked as a new born baby with out my sewing machine. I go to visit for a week and I take machine -fabrics and my tool box with notions and threads and my smaller folding table. My nephews had already set up lamps and electricity so I could set out side in the back yard even after dark to sew with the deers watching me. Best nephews in the world : )
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

sounds like thrift store time !!!!
search the area for a used machine, some sewing machine places have trade-in as well- you may be able to get one used at a pretty good deal..
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 AM

All great suggestions, also check the local Craig's list for a machine. If you find a LQS tell them your delima they may know of someone who is selling a used machine. Buy a kids coloring book use it for the base of a simple paper piece project. I like the idea of cutting shirts to start a quilt start with dh's he may decide is time to keep your hands busy hahaha. Do you crochet or knitt, maybe it's time to learn.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I'd go home. LOL
Old 01-23-2014, 06:05 AM

All good suggestions, I would get a yo yo maker and do some up. I cant do them without the plastic yo yo maker and you can get them a Joanns. As for the Fox News, maybe some headphones and an ipod.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:41 AM

I began doing Hairpin Lace when on bus trips. I bought my Hairpin Lace Loom at Hobby Lobby cost 3.49 I use two different colors of yarn You can go online and get directions on how to do it. You make strips and then crotchet them together. I use a #8 crotchet hook. I usually make 34 strips, either 240 stitches or 270 stitches. depending on how long you want the afghan. It also makes a difference on the heft of your yarn. The first one I made the yarn was 4 ply. it was 34 strips wide and 240 stitches it measures 42 x 60. the last one I used 'I love this yarn' from Hobby Lobby it does not say what ply it is. It must not be 4 ply as it is 34 strips wide and 270 stitches long and it measures 36 x 64. I have made lovely smaller one for babies.
another fun project is doing a wall hanging - I made the Walking in a Winter Wonderland. I did it in blues.
Good luck in finding something that interests you.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM

I'd insist on a new sewing machine and supplies if your DH doesn't want to do anything. Knitting or crochet is always a project I like to do when I don't have my machine handy.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM

onebyone you made me laugh but so true, I agree with all the suggestions my goodness you must be bored to tears by now, when I flew to az to visit my brother in 2010 the first thing I pack was some small pieces of fabric and yoyo templates I wasn't sure if I even get past security with a small scissors and a needles but I did, I made a lot of yoyos going and coming back 5 hr flight so glad I took them. there still in a box waiting for me
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 AM
DJ

If you get a sewing machine, you might consider quilt patterns using pre-cuts, so you don't have to invest the time and storage space for a large cutting mat. Check out any LQS in the area. You can sometimes go in and use their classrooms for cutting/sewing when not in use for classes.

I love counted cross stitch for a take-along project. Relative inexpensive for the time it takes to complete a project! I also do a lot of knitting.

In any event, you definitely need to find a craft to help fill your time and your fulfill your creative mojo!