Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I caved and bought a serger ... >
  • I caved and bought a serger ...

• I caved and bought a serger ...

Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM

I've had mine for years -- I usually serge around receiving blankets before I crochet around them. Also use it to finish seams when I sew American Girl doll clothes. I guess it has paid for itself in that way.
    Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM
    Power Poster

I have had mine for years and just recently started using it.
    Old 02-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Buying an overlocker was one of the best moves I have made. I bought a Baby Lock and use it every day. Definitely not sorry. Use the machine and you will see the benefit.
    Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 AM

I thought I needed one too. Even went to free intro classes offered at the time....sewed some holiday gifts that year...then the thread on one of the spools ran out...I was not paying attention....and of course the hardest "path"! Tried for hours to re thread...packed it up, took to shop, took her 5 seconds to do it! Now, it sits in a corner of m y sewing cave...
    Wish I had waited another year to purchase....that auto thread feature came out! Maybe some day I will try again
    Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 AM

I love my 10yr-plus serger. I bought a simple Elna that came with cards that showed setups for each stitich it does. That way I don't have to remember every time! It is not computerized or air threading, but I love it for placemats, napkins, summer capris, finishing the edge on ruffles and other home dec sewing, and doll clothes. I just took a class at the shop where I bought it and made 3 "Infinity" scarves in 2 hours. I have tried quilt piecing, but I wasn't really happy with the results, so use my reg. sewing machine for that. I dont use it every day, or even every week, but I keep it at hand so that it isnt a big deal to use it. It also has color coded threading tracks to make it easier to thread. Hope you enjoy yours!
    Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 AM
    Power Poster

I have the Brother 1043D which is very similar to your new one. I wanted one for years and finally got this one. It isn't hard to thread, but doesn't need threading often because there is a way to tie the new threads to the old ones and pull them through. There are some videos on you tube that will show you how to thread it. I am enjoying mine for lots of things not quilting related. I did watch Nancy Zieman's shows which you can watch free on her website. Have fun with it and don't let it scare you!!
    Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Let it be said quietly at the back of a dark closet with the door tightly shut, "I occasionally sew a quilt using my serger."

A serger is also wonderful for controlling the edges of the odd piece of quilting yardage that frays its heart out when I tuck it into the pre-cutting-get-the-excess-dye-and-stuff-out wash.

I do garment and house sewing. The serger there use is mostly for edge protection and putting together simple things: t-shirts, the pillowcases someone else mentioned, pull on shorts, and so on. Oh, and I used the sergers when I reupholstered our rv last year.

The sergers in my sewing room are not just pretty faces; they work a lot. Yes, there are two: the very inexpensive Singer I bought just about 20 years and a not very inexpensive computerized Husky I bought about 12 years ago. Black and white threaded. Always ready to go. And they do.
    Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM

A serger is a good investment. I use mine a lot. I am a seamstress in a bridal shop and we use our serger daily. I use mine at home too. When I was looking for a serger, my dealer said it was like a stove and a microwave...your sewing machine is your stove where you do most of your cooking but after having a microwave...would you ever give it up? My serger is here to stay.
    Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow
    I own a nice one, but can't for the life of me thread it. So it sits. I use to take it to the LQS where I bought it and have the woman rethread the ones that came undone, but she insisted I learn to do it myself. I can't no matter how much I try. I won't go back in and ask for help again. She made it known she didn't want to keep doing it. She did it about 4 times and I'm too embarrassed to ask her for her help again. So it's of no use to me. I tried selling it on the Quilting Board even, because I'm not using it, but I guess I was either asking too much or no one wanted a used one.
    I'm with you. I had a serger at one point, but threading drove me crazy. I did sell it.
    Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM

My hubby bought a Husqvarna Viking serger for me from craigslist, great price ... it is almost 3 yrs now and I still haven't used it... turned it on to make sure it would, but I've heard horror stories about threading a serger and I'm totally intimidated by it! It came with a instructional video (video not dvd) and I haven't looked at it either, why am I procrastinating?