Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How do you find a charity group? >
  • How do you find a charity group?

• How do you find a charity group?

Old 02-15-2014, 12:51 PM

I started at home. I think I've posted before that I give to our local Nursing homes or Hospice. And did I mention how pleased and excited the staff was the first time I arrived with quilts AND wheelchair & walker bags? I wondered if anyone had ever donated the bags before. So now I try to have at least a dozen when I arrive. Such a little thing, but the residents prize their little personal items and want them with their person. I was told one resident had a laptop & no place to keep it except his lap. So I even put pockets for cell phones...and I make them more personal by embroidering cute designs or sayings on them...for instance "I'm TOO cute!", or "Yes, I still flirt!". Just to get a chuckle. So look around you and you'll find your own "charity". It can be very rewarding to the soul. Off my podium, now
    Old 02-15-2014, 01:38 PM

I can't even conceive of a LQS that doesn't know of local guilds with charity quilting ... or other outlets for our art.

Every guild I know of does something. Even some of the LQS's have charity quilting groups.
    Old 02-15-2014, 01:40 PM

I don't want to plug any one group but I'm gonna ... when he was two my son got really sick with a stomach virus and had to be on IV fluids because he couldn't keep anything down. We were given a Project Linus blanket at the hospital and it was the only thing in the room that wasn't medical and scary to him. He still sleeps with his Project Linus blanket every night. They are really a great organization.
    Old 02-15-2014, 01:43 PM

You can make quilts for raffles for any charity and then money goes to them to use as needed. I have done that will most of my charity quilts. You can make some really good money doing raffles.
    Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM

What a great idea. I worked at a nursing home as one of my first jobs, sad how many get no visitors. I really think this is such a good idea. I may have to bring one down and do a free raffle for the residents.
    Originally Posted by mermaid
    I started at home. I think I've posted before that I give to our local Nursing homes or Hospice. And did I mention how pleased and excited the staff was the first time I arrived with quilts AND wheelchair & walker bags? I wondered if anyone had ever donated the bags before. So now I try to have at least a dozen when I arrive. Such a little thing, but the residents prize their little personal items and want them with their person. I was told one resident had a laptop & no place to keep it except his lap. So I even put pockets for cell phones...and I make them more personal by embroidering cute designs or sayings on them...for instance "I'm TOO cute!", or "Yes, I still flirt!". Just to get a chuckle. So look around you and you'll find your own "charity". It can be very rewarding to the soul. Off my podium, now
    Old 02-15-2014, 01:50 PM

Fantastic ideas! Wow!
    Old 02-15-2014, 01:57 PM

I'm a member of Quilters for Comfort. If you go to yahoo groups you can find it. We're from all over the USA and do stuff for different charities thru the year. You only participate in what you want to....
    Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM

Flying Horse Ranch in Ohio runs a camp for terminally ill children. They collect over 350 quilts either 50X70 or 60 X 80 for the children to take home after the end of the camp. I can think of few things that make me feel better than a quilt for a child. They should be on the web.
    Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Fantastic idea! Would you mind sharing your pattern for the wheelchair and walker bags? Sounds like a great way to bless folks and use up stash in a hurry.

I started at home. I think I've posted before that I give to our local Nursing homes or Hospice. And did I mention how pleased and excited the staff was the first time I arrived with quilts AND

wheelchair & walker bags? I wondered if anyone had ever donated the bags before. So now I try to have at least a dozen when I arrive. Such a little thing, but the residents prize their little personal items and want them with their person. I was told one resident had a laptop & no place to keep it except his lap. So I even put pockets for cell phones...and I make them more personal by embroidering cute designs or sayings on them...for instance "I'm TOO cute!", or "Yes, I still flirt!". Just to get a chuckle. So look around you and you'll find your own "charity". It can be very rewarding to the soul. Off my podium, now
    Old 02-15-2014, 02:54 PM

local is good. Our guild supports the women's shelter. They seldom come into shelter with more than the clothes on their backs, and must be fitted out with household goods when they are ready to leave.