Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "hope chests" >
  • "hope chests"

• "hope chests"

Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 PM

I have already started doing this. I only have 2 grandchildren, which makes it easier.
    Old 02-20-2014, 02:18 PM

I received a hope chest and still have it. My aunts all came over those many years ago and brought me towel sets, gorgeous table clothes etc. It was very exciting. That year three of my cousins also received their hope chest too.

I am sure you will bless them with many nice things to put in their hope chest
    Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM

I have my Grandmother's hope chest that her father bought her for her 16th birthday. I'm in my late 50's soooooo this thing is an antique. No quilts stored in there....just a bunch of picture albums and her shoebox of photo's.
    Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM

I have pillowcases that my Grandmother made over 50 years ago. I just can't use them. They were only a small part of what was in my "hope" chest.
    Old 02-20-2014, 03:03 PM

When I bought a cedar chest, I chose an upright chest style. When my DGDgot her new house, I gave it to her with the contents. There was a grandma apron included. We used to make cookies each Christmas season and she can use it many years in the future. I wish I had had more to put in the Hope Chest.
    Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 PM

Neither of my daughters have hope chests because they didn't want them. My eldest has her own condo - so she is using what she has now. (She is 32 and not yet married and storage is minimal.) My younger daughter, lives with us right now because she is working full time and went back to school full time to get her Master's. She is 29 and when she was living with her friends they used all that the items they had and no idea what storage is. And I have 2 nieces that are kind of in the same boat.

So I make the items and let them decide what to do with them. We have a rather small family, so it give me an excuse to make more.

My sisters and I each had a Hope Chest, mine currently stores the family silver service, my daughters' baby quilts and my stamp albums. My eldest sister is no longer with us, so her eldest daughter has hers and my other sister had 2 boys and uses hers like I use mine.
    Old 02-20-2014, 03:41 PM

I love the idea of making things for them for their future. I would stay with the tried and true colors and not do anything trendy. Neutrals, Christmas, 30's, civil war have all stood the test of time. A favorite color now might change.
    Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM

I am thinking an updated version of hand embroidered pillow cases might still be appreciated. I have 12 pr from our wedding 42 yrs ago and cherish them... So why not find a nice print or even white or ecru and make some nice pillowcases for them. SulaBug just posted some wonderful pillow cases here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t240773.html
    I just made 3 pillowcases using this tutorial:http://quiltingtutorials.com/browse-...ase-challenge/
    Just an updated 'Hope Chest' idea.. HTH
    Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    Dunster, you always have such good suggestions!! I have a granddaughter who will be going to college in a year and would like to start putting her "hope chest" together. She loves orange -- I saw orange pans the other day. Really need to ask if she would like them for her "someday" kitchen.
    The orange pan set might be the Rachel Ray set. I don't know who else makes blaze orange pots and pans. They are decent pans (my DD has an orange set) and hold up well. Just wanted to let you know...

Anita
    Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM

I think DWR quilts are gorgeous and would be nice to have as a gift and maybe the colors you put in now wouldn't be to out of style. I also think it's a good idea to ask them what they might like or a color that they think they would like. It's hard with colors since I know myself the new colors come out and you love them so asking is nice idea. I still have my Cedar Chest as it was called when I got mine and I"m 68 so they always change even what they're called. Good luck and it's so nice of you to wonder what they might like. Sue