Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines >
  • Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

• Pricing of sit-down machiens vs. stand alone sewing/quilting/embroidery machines

Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM

uhmm... Babylock is not made by Brother and the company is still headquartered in my wonderful city.

But I have also been thinking about a sit down quilter or perhaps developing a wonderful partnership with a LAQ.

Originally Posted by EllieGirl
    ....I think Babylock is made by Brother......

Last edited by Havplenty; 02-25-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 AM

I've seen th Bailey's machine and although the throat space is huge, the layout of the machine is different than the Handi Quilter Sweet 16, which you approach straight way. IMHO - still seems like it would restrict freedom of movement and you'd still have to wrestle with the machine on the right side.

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Why not check out the Bailey(http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/), they have a great reputation and service, plus they have free shipping to the lower 48 states. When I have the room and the money, that's what I'm getting.
    Old 02-26-2014, 06:20 AM

You still have to move the quilt with a sit down. A long arm you move the machine over the quilt.
    Old 02-26-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    uhmm... Babylock is not made by Brother and the company is still headquartered in my wonderful city.

But I have also been thinking about a sit down quilter or perhaps developing a wonderful partnership with a LAQ.

Sorry but Babylock machines ARE manufactured by Brother; you need only to look at the interface to know that. But the Babylock rep confirmed this for me at the Houston Quilt Festival last year.
    Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 AM

I agree with the original poster. You are looking at $5000 for a sweet sixteen and weighing it against a larger throat DSM that has more features. I opted for a longarm on a frame because I disliked basting and preferred to move the machine, not the quilt. Don't forget to investigate used machines. I bought a 2003 APQS Millenium through a dealer in 2009 and I am still happy with the machine and the support.
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM

A long arm machine is not an option for me. I don't have anywhere in my house to put a long arm so I have to go with the sit-down version. My house is very small and even a 8 ft frame wouldn't fit in my house. Have to focus on what I can work with.
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM

yes -- I am aware of this....which I prefer and also I have no room in my home for a long arm.

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    You still have to move the quilt with a sit down. A long arm you move the machine over the quilt.
    Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM

I love my Sweet 16. Look for a used one. I found mine on Craigslist and saved about $1800 over the price of a new one which would buy you a fantastic Domestic machine to partner with it. Handi Quilter has been a great support to me, even tho I am not the original owner and I don't have any warranty or a dealer close to home. Just my 2 cents worth
    Old 02-26-2014, 04:32 PM

Your question makes perfect sense to me. I've wondered the same. When it's time, do I get a new janome with a larger throat or a sweet 16? For now, I'm still working full time and barely can make the time to sew anything so it keeps getting put on the back burner.
    Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 AM

I purchased a Janome 7700 in 2010 thinking I'd be able to happily quilt my quilts with the 11 inch throat space. I like the machine, but it nothing next to FMQ on my Sweet Sixteen. That extra space is so worth it. Plus I think the Sweet Sixteen makes prettier stitches. It's simple, does one thing and does it well.