Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to square up blocks? >

When to square up blocks?

When to square up blocks?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Eleanor Burns over cuts her blocks and then trims them up. That is what I would do. I stitch my blocks, starch them and then trim. What counts is what works for you. Yes, I did see F&P. They for the first time oversized their blocks. I don't see anything wrong with doing whatever works for you as long as the final results can be quilted.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:07 AM

I very seldom square up my blocks and never have a problem with my quilts coming out square. When making my blocks will lay them on top of each other to make sure they are the same size. Now watch me have a problem with the next quilt I make. haha
Old 03-26-2014, 08:32 AM

If I'm working on a quilt with just squares and rectangles, I will finish the blocks and then square them up so that they all end up the same size. Now triangles are another issue - I will oversize and then square up each unit before I put them together with the intention of not messing up any points so that when the block is complete, there (with any luck) is no real squaring to be done.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 PM

Unless they're totally off, you don't have to square up the 4-patch. If you have the time, you can, but squaring up after you add the "borders" is fine.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:05 AM

I square as I go. My borders, bindings and the whole quilt lays flat in the end which is what I like but I tend to be a little OCD on other things too so take that into consideration.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 AM

After years of squaring up when I finish the bock, I now measure after each seam. It sounds incredibly labor intensive but it is not. I can correct it at the source and know that the block will be the exact size it should be when finished. I have found I save more time this way.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 AM

I square up each section as I go. I also check the accuracy of patches and stitched together patches when I press. It is easy to get them out of their square if you don't be careful. It is far easier to trim or restitch a small section before you have to take out several lines of stitching to get to the problem area. I keep a 12 inch square ruler right by me machine so I can check as I go. The same small error adds up to a big problem if repeated several times.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:59 AM

I have learned that squaring up pays big dividends. Even a little off is a problem when it continues to a new row and it only gets worse as you go. Makes the sewing go so much better when you don't have to "fudge" to get things to fit.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am making a throw that has 4 patch blocks with borders on each block. The 4 patch center will be 6.5 inches and after the borders are on they will be 12.5 inches. Should I square up the 4 patch center first and then again after I add the borders or just square them up once the borders are added?
I'd square up twice if it is supposed to be precise. You can always square up just the last time, but the you risk having the block center look a little bit off if it hasn't been squared.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM

I am following this thread with interest because I have yet to figure out how to square up a block. One of my expert quilting acquaintances--and she is an expert--says, "pick a side and call it square and use it as the side to square from." Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. My blocks are usually pretty good, but I'd like to have a physical description of HOW you square your blocks. froggyintexas