Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock? >

How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock?

How to negotiate a good Deal on a new machine - Brother Dreamweaver? Babylock?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:58 AM

Do not finance, pay CASH, ask for the best discount based upon these terms and consider a floor model. It worked out great for me. I bought the machine I wanted and at a greatly reduced price from a high volume sales dealer. I could not be happier!
sandy
Old 05-21-2014, 04:03 AM

When I got my machine, the dealer offered to meet the price I found online once he heard I'd been looking. Shopping around doesn't have too just be local. Here there is only one dealer per brand, one for Viking, one for janome, pfaff and baby lock, and one for brother and Juki.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
Paying with cash should save you 4-5% right off the top.
If a dealer is running an "interest free" sale with a machine at a certain "sale" price, just know that the dealer is paying 10% to GE Capital *up front* on the total (including sales tax) to write that deal.

If he writes a sale that gets paid by credit cards, he's paying about 3% on the entire total for merchant fees.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

YES, I have said it before, it is like dealing with a car dealer. You have to have a plan and gather different quotes. But you also must keep in mind who is closet for servicing your new DSM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:50 AM

I've found that it is easier to get dealers to "throw in" the extra than to lower the price of the machine.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 AM

Paying cash will get you the best deal. I paid cash for my Ellisimo Gold II and saved over $4500 and got a couple hundred dollars in goodies too.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by luana View Post
I've found that it is easier to get dealers to "throw in" the extra than to lower the price of the machine.
This is true in my experience too. I think a lot of manufacturers are very controlling about how much the dealer can discount the machine itself. So they might hit a limit on the machine, but be able to throw in other products & services for free or at a discount to sweeten the deal. When I bought my 6600 I got a $50 credit to spend on thread and accessories (which doesn't go as far as you might think) and also a 10% discount on anything else I bought. Plus the dealer offers 2 years free servicing on the machine and I can call anytime to schedule a free one-on-one "class" if I ever have questions or trouble with using my machine.

My most recent machine purchase was discounted heavily due to a trade-in. I didn't have the trade in machine myself, but another customer had donated a broken machine for him to use for parts and the dealer was able to count that freebie machine as my trade-in and save me $200; he told me he actually has to register that trade-in info with Janome to justify the lower price or he can get into trouble with them.

So ask about trade-in value too. Even if you don't have a machine to trade you might be able to pick up a $20 machine at Goodwill and trade it in for a couple hundred dollars or more in discounts.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 AM

I don't know the difference between the two. I purchased the Crescendo and received the stitch regulator along with thread. I probably paid too much but I really, really love the machine. Consider the dealer as well as the machine.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
The babylock is higher because they spend more on education and advertising, the brother will have the my custom stitch feature, babylock will not, other than that it is the only difference between the 2. The deal you get is usually dependent on the dealer. If you visit a few in your local region you will know what the going rate is for your location, it varies greatly dependent on where you live. I would go with whatever has a better deal
Wish I realized this three yrs ago when I dropped $$$$ for BL.....first bought a Brother....read it was inferior...so brought back for BL..should have stayed with Bro.....since I have found not much difference between them except price!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:55 AM

I will try to keep all this advise in mind. I don't have a lot of dealers nearby, so we will see.