Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
lost books >

lost books

lost books

Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 AM

I have found books in between fabric that I have set aside to use with a pattern from the books. After doing this for years, I still forget I put the book with the fabrics as a reminder I already have the pattern and the fabrics.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

This happens to me and it is frustrating and I didn't like how it stays on my mind making me feel frustrated. Now if I look for something and it's gone, I quit thinking about it immediately and buy another. The lost will show up or not, it doesn't matter. Funny how this only happens to my sewing items. Anything that needs cleaning never gets lost.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 AM

That happened to me, but with money. It was my first year teaching .... many,many moons ago.....and I was so proud to be saving my pay to get my parents a great Xmas gift bought with my own money. I was boarding with a family and an envelope with $2000 went missing. Not for a moment did I think the family was to blame as they were as honest as honest come. We searched for a long time and I finally thought it was gone forever, probably lost from my pocket on the way home from the bank.
I left these people at the end of the school year.
The next year they moved to another city. They took out the drawers to move out the bedroom dresser I had used. When they lifted the dresser, the envelope of money slipped out on the floor.
Apparently, I stuffed the money into the back of the drawer and it slipped over the back edge and got stuck between the drawer back and the dresser back panel.
Yes, the drawers had been searched, and we had pulled out the dresser to check the floor behind it, but it stayed stuck up against the back.
What a wonderful surprise when the lady called me to report the find!

So, check out the area down behind the books and other furniture with drawers.
Hope your books are found.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:56 AM

Did you perhaps lend them to someone? I feel your pain!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:00 AM

One thing that I have learned about being in your situation (and I have been in your situation many times sigh...) Stop picturing the books in your mind. I lost a quilt kit and could not find it anywhere. I thought someone had sneaked into my house and stole it. I could picture the kit in my mind; in a bag. A couple of years later I was cleaning out my sewing area and there it was! I had taken it out of the bag and put it in a shirt box. I still don't remember doing that. If I had stopped visualizing it as I remembered it, I would have found it much sooner. I hope this makes sense and good luck.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear! I am so sorry, that is so frustrating. I can't tell you how many times I have lost my favorite book by fig tree quilts. For some reason it just gets put into the wrong place and I spend days searching.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

I moved 10 months ago and went looking for a quilt book and couldn't find it. I was also looking for a 1/4 yard of a certain fabric and it was not where it should be. SO frustrating. Usually, when I stop looking for something it appears within a week or so. But since the move, NOTHING has appeared saying here I am. I am starting to label boxes with what the contents are. Hope that helps me !!
Old 06-01-2014, 07:33 AM

Ugh. And as soon as you buy a replacement, the first one shows up. That's how I ended up with two cameras. (And naturally, despite being the same brand, they can't share batteries.)

I just recently paid a small fortune to replace my missing Wacom drawing tablet. I waited forever but it just never turned up - it may have been lost or (more unlikley) stolen in a move. But now that I've replaced it I fully expect it to turn up someplace weird.

So guarantee, you buy new ones, the old ones will turn up someplace like on top of the 'fridge, or behind a bookcase.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I am sorry you can't find them. I know how that is!! Years ago I bought a brand new skirt. I took it out of the closet a few times that week excited about wearing it to church that Sunday. Come Sunday morning the skirt was NO where to be found. I still have NO idea where it went!
This is so cute, made me giggle.....there was a comedian a long time ago that would say.....the devil made me do it.....maybe that time he did it, knowing where you wanted to wear that skirt.....

I am sure if I were to move I would find all the things that have grown feet and walked away in my house.....makes me think I am going bonkers!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM

I lost a quilt off of my bed once. Just knew my then husband had threw it in his truck or something. Finally found when we moved. The water bed had eaten it. It was shoved way down between the mattress and the wood sides. Have no idea how it done it. But yes, the books will turn up when you replace them.