Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing machine questions >

sewing machine questions

sewing machine questions

Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 PM

For hand quilting, I just make a not - nothing special - and give it a good tug to pull it through the top fabric and batting. Just a single knot will do. One of the many reasons I like quilting is I can machine piece -which I like- and hand quilt so I have something to do while watching tv and keep my hands busy.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:28 AM

I second the advice about shopping around and 'test driving' machines. If you are looking for a large harp, basic straight stitch machine that stitches beautifully, consider a Juki TL2010q. Only straight stitch, but has speed control (a MUST for me), thread cutter in foot pedal and knee lever lift. No bells or whistles, just a fabulous workhorse of a machine. About $1,000.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 AM

I love hand quilting and machine quilting. I was absolutely terrible when I started hand quilting. I really struggled with getting the knot through the fabric too! What I do now (which works most of the time) is to hold the quilt behind the knot as I pull in the other direction. I am currently doing big stitch quilting using perle cotton thread, which is thicker than normal thread, so the knot is bigger too. I haven't had any problems so far! I also sometimes get a problem with the knot at the end, so when I try to pull it through, the thread breaks off at the knot. Very annoying because you have to undo enough of your stitches to be able to try again. My advice for that is to make the knot slightly smaller than the knot you used to start off (eg. I usually make a quilters knot with 3 wraps around the needle to start off, and will just use 2 wraps for the finishing knot) and this usually works pretty well!
I got a lot better at handquilting after I found "thimblelady". I bought her book and thimbles and worked through it on the practice square that she sent with the book. Went from massive, wobbly stitches, to nice even ones in a couple of hours. My stitches still aren't perfect, but I'm happy with them! Her thimble is the first one I've actually been able to use as it has lovely deep holes to hold the needle! You have to order it from Australia, but in my opinion it was totally worth it!
Sorry, haven't got much advice on machines but thought I might be able to help a bit with the hand quilting!
Good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:56 AM

You cannot go wrong with something like a Singer 301 or 301A. I also have a nice Singer 15 in a cabinet that I picked up at an auction several years ago for $17.50. They are out there, you can have lots of fun looking for them. My brother in California found a Featherweight at a flea market on a pile of scrap metal for $25. Took it home and worked on it, now my sister-in-law uses it for quilting. They are out there, have fun searching, but be warned you might be bitten by the machine collector bug.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 AM

As far as handquilting...burying the knot......when knot gets to fabric, scratch the fabric with your nail while gently pulling and the threads will separate enough to let the knot pass thru into your batting....hard to really describe, but it works....
Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 AM

Buy the very best you can afford. I had a problem with one of my machines and the repairman came to my house as he lives close. He told me Bernina and Janome are the best machines being made today, he works as a repairman for a company that sells BabyLock. Buy a large throat and harp, automatic cutter and threader are ideal.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 AM

I love my Viking Sapphire 960Q, lots of quilting stitches and does a beautiful job sewing in general. Very user friendly with a lot of features. I have only ever had Vikings so I might be a tad prejudice but not one of them has ever given me trouble. They are pretty much maintenance free if you clean regularly and they never need oiled. Just shop around and see what works best for you with a dealer in your area who you can trust to be honest about the product. Use it at the shop and see if it has what you're looking for. I used to sell the Vikings and I can tell you the best customer is one who comes in with questions and tries out everything in the price range they're looking for. Most of them go to another shop to try their machine also before buying. It's a big decision and you don't want to regret your purchase.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 AM

Here's another bit of advice : if going for a higher-priced sewing machine consider the higher cost of additional parts you'll want to have. It's like buying a foreign car: everything is more expensive to buy additionally or to repair.
I'd like to have a Bernina, but from what I can see additional "anything" is costly.
Good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 AM

Kelly,
I like the Singer 15 and 237 for machine quilting of all kinds. To quilt successfully with a home sewing machine, you need to support the quilt all around. The picture is of me sewing binding on a baby quilt with a Pfaff #60 treadle. You can see how the quilt is supported with the table to left and behind, same thing when quilting.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/39168443@N06/14149401823/

Sharon in Texas
Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 AM

Hang in there...this is why we have this board...to help each other. What budget do you have? If can afford a Janome 6600, it is great! You can contact dealers to see if they have a trade in or floor model that they will sell discounted.
Floor models, or show models are best, since they come with a warranty. The harp is large enough to "puddle" a quilt to the right of the needle for free motion quilting. I suspect freer motion quilting is what you are referring to in moving the needle sideways, actually, it is you moving your quilt all directions under the needle, you needle is always stationery ...at least we hope so. You can, of course, do this with a machine without a large harp space, but you do need to practice. I would start with some pot holders as a project, or just put two layers of muslin under your needle after setting your machine up for FMQ. There are lots of online instruction for FMQ Leah Day has a lot of free videos on her site for all kinds of designs to play with. Welcome to our board and to quilting...a life time of enjoyment.