Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm looking for a good mini-iron.  Does anyone have this or can recommend one? >
  • I'm looking for a good mini-iron. Does anyone have this or can recommend one?

• I'm looking for a good mini-iron. Does anyone have this or can recommend one?

Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM

I have the Dritz Petite Press and LOVE it! It has 4 different heat settings, the head is adjustable, and it has its own attached stand. I love it so much I bought two more; one as a backup and one for a friend. Mine gets plenty hot enough to press seams and attach fusible web or interfacing.

I got mine on the notions wall at Joann's when it was 50% off. Apparently Joann's classifies it as a notion, not an iron.
    Old 10-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by AChristina
    I have this one from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-GCSBTR...am+travel+iron
    I use it everyday and have had no problems.
    I too have this one - it is great for applique as well as ironing black pieces. Mine is about 3 yo and still works perfectly
    Old 10-19-2014, 06:32 AM
    Power Poster

I have a Proctor Silex, I bought few months ago. It's small enough for applique and gets pretty warm. I got it for about $12.00 at a general dollar store. So far so good. I have a larger Sunbeam that gets pretty hot but everytime I turn around it shuts off. I have a silicone pad for my irons. Going to get another to throw into sewing bag.
    Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 AM

I know I'm going off the mini iron, but I am so disappointed in my $200. Oliso Pro Iron......it leaks and spits. I bought it at Joann's and now I can't for the life of me find the receipt. They will take it back and give me half of what I paid. I can't send it to the manufacture people without the receipt. Boy what a lesson to learn. And.....I almost never throw receipts away. Darn. What is the best stem iron you girls and guys use? I just might have to splurge for another one.
    Old 10-19-2014, 01:20 PM

I have the Darice Mini and cannot recommend it. I used it at a class once, was warned by a woman at the class to watch for the cord falling out, and it did. When it got hot, and cord didn't fall out of the iron, it was great. Too bad that was only about 25% of the time.
    Old 10-19-2014, 01:53 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by caspharm
    I have that one and like it for class, but I still prefer my little Rowenta Travel Iron. I've seen them at JoAnns and you can use the coupon on it. Here is a link to the online store and it's on sale: http://www.joann.com/rowenta-da1560-...owenta&start=5
    Sorry, but just a warning about this iron. I had two of them catch fire, fortunately I was using them when it happened.
    I really liked this iron too, until it happened twice.
    peace
    Old 10-19-2014, 03:34 PM

I have the rowenta travel iron and I love it. I don't use it at home because it does not have an auto shut off. I treasure it so much for quilt retreats, that several months ago, I forgot to pack it, so I went and bought another one, as I needed one for a lot of ironing right at my table, and did not want to get a cheap ten dollar one, so now I have two of them.
    Old 10-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Sorry Dolphins but I have that iron and find the handle is too long for me, I purchased a clover and it is lighter too
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM

I recently purchased the Rowenta mini travel iron also and LOVE it! I do use the clover leaf with paper piecing and works super for doing that. I purchased my first ever Big Rowenta about four months ago and wonder why I never did sooner. Love them! Though I was very leary hearing some of the problems. But after reading that it needs to warm up before use completely so it doesn't spit water I have never had problems. In my Mini have't put water i. For steam yet.
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl
    I know I'm going off the mini iron, but I am so disappointed in my $200. Oliso Pro Iron......it leaks and spits. I bought it at Joann's and now I can't for the life of me find the receipt. They will take it back and give me half of what I paid. I can't send it to the manufacture people without the receipt. Boy what a lesson to learn. And.....I almost never throw receipts away. Darn. What is the best stem iron you girls and guys use? I just might have to splurge for another one.
    I am new to the use of Rowenta but am curious, the first time I used mine it spit and did a sputter. Then after I read that it needed to be totally warmed up before use or it would do that I made sure it was warmed up and since haven't had any issues with it. Could this be the same for yours? I know how frustrating irons can be. i was surprised when mine quit