• Read any good books lately? >
  • Read any good books lately?

• Read any good books lately?

Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
    Unbroken is wonderful. Edie

Agree with Edie.
    Old 12-07-2014, 07:03 AM

The Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is one of the best books I have ever read. If you want to read it, try to do so before the movie comes out. It's a true story and beautifully written and researched
    Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
    Unbroken is wonderful. Edie

Agree with Edie.

Originally Posted by Sandi
    The Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is one of the best books I have ever read. If you want to read it, try to do so before the movie comes out. It's a true story and beautifully written and researched
    "Unbroken" is an excellent book. If you liked that, you may also want to read. "Devil at My Heels." It is a memoir by Louis Zamperini that was published before Unbroken. It is lesser known, but just as good. There are enough differences in the accounts of his life to make both enjoyable.
    Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 AM

I have really enjoyed the Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny. Best series I've come across in a long, long time. It's set in Quebec and follows the Chief Inspector of the Surete as well as the people in a small village called Three Pines.
    Old 12-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug
    I've been hooked on J. A. Jance books lately. Mostly the Joanna Brady series, but Jance has other series. Mysteries. My favorite mysteries of all time are Tony Hillerman's books. He writes mysteries set in Arizona. The main characters are with the Reservation police.
    I love her books.
    Old 12-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Follow the River by James Alexander Thom. It's an older book but very good. another is Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo. I have read both books more than once.
    Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug
    I've been hooked on J. A. Jance books lately. Mostly the Joanna Brady series, but Jance has other series. Mysteries. My favorite mysteries of all time are Tony Hillerman's books. He writes mysteries set in Arizona. The main characters are with the Reservation police.
    I have read every Jance book there is an absolutely love them...I was so fortunate to see that she was doing a book signing in Kansas city...My husband wouldn't leave the fur babies so for the second time in our 35 year marriage I left home and went by myself to Kansas City to attend and spend the weekend with my son...He came and picked me up for the 3 hour drive to his home...the morning of the book signing he said I have a surprise for you...he had contacted her and invited her for lunch..She accepted...I was in shock...what a treat...she is a lovely lady and as interesting as her books. Her husband is equally as great. I wanted so bad to post it back then but didn't think I should.. a couple of weeks ago she gave me permission but I still felt uncomfortable about it thinking it might cause her difficulties if she were bombarded by requests. Anyway what a special weekend that was...
    Attached Thumbnails lunchjance2.png  
    Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 AM

I was most impressed by "Unbroken" and it is a biography....I believe a movie has also been made, but I prefer books.....less license taken. I saw the subject interviewed on TV shortly before he died. A VERY good book for men or women!!!
    Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 AM

OK, here is where I shamelessly plug my daughter's book. Please forgive, but she can't afford advertising. It probably isn't for a man, but the title is "Chasing the Crown," by Kail Harbick, purchase at amazon.com

It isn't in ebook form yet.

It is a serious look into the Pageant world, behind the scenes. Very clean read, good for teens through my dear mother's age of 91. Makes a nice Christmas gift.

The author, my daughter, was a pageant director for married women. (Throughout the book a person will see what all it takes to enter a pageant, and lots of tips and helps along the way, written into the story.) I think any lady would find it an enjoyable read.
    Old 12-07-2014, 10:42 AM

That would be a nice gift for my DH. He likes history books about WWII. Anything with airplanes of WWII. I like romance. Robyn Carr is a favorite.