Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Read any good books lately? >

Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?

Old 12-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Default Read any good books lately?

I need recommendations for a few interesting books. I want to give as gift to my husband. he reads everything but not bodice ripping romances, What have you read lately ? New or old Not quilt books.
Judy
Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM

I've been hooked on J. A. Jance books lately. Mostly the Joanna Brady series, but Jance has other series. Mysteries. My favorite mysteries of all time are Tony Hillerman's books. He writes mysteries set in Arizona. The main characters are with the Reservation police.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:58 PM
DJ

I like Ken Follett. The Pillars of the Earth series (Pillars of the Earth; and World Without End) or his newest The Century Trilogy (Fall of Giants; Winter of the World; and Edge of Eternity). I know several men who enjoy these books also. Maybe a boxed set would be nice. They are very large books, though, and I like to read them on my Nook. I think I'd break my nose falling asleep while reading one in bed. LOL
Old 12-06-2014, 04:28 PM

I recommend The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer.

I agree with DJ -the Ken Follett books mentioned above are very good. Lawrence Block & Jeffrey Deaver are authors he might like. (These are all "DH approved"....he reads a lot too.)
Old 12-06-2014, 05:06 PM

My book club just read 'The Storied Life of AJ Fikry' by Gabrielle Levin and we all loved it! I agree with The Invisible Bridge and the ken Follett books too. My three favorite authors are Pat Conroy, Geraldine Brooks and Nelson DeMille---anything written by these three are superb books. If he likes non-fiction, I highly recommend 'The Boys In the Boat" and "Unbroken"--both are really really good.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:59 AM

If he likes to read auto-biographies, there is a 3-book series from Dave Pelzer called "A Boy Called IT". It's a real tear-jerker. My sister got so mad at me. I loaned the 1st book to her, and she couldn't put it down, and she read it in one night. Well, so did I.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 AM

Two other good mystery writers that write about the Southwest are Aimee & David Thurlo and James D. Doss. Robert Parker for his Spenser and Jesse Stone books. And I get a kick out of Spenser Quinn series about Chet and Bernie (a dog and his detective owner)
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 AM

I have become an avid fan of William Kent Krueger. You can google him and there is a lot about him. He is from Minnesota and he has (so far) 14 books, read in order, with the main character being a cop, Cork Corcoran, and what happens to him in his cop in Northern Minnesota in the Ojibway area (around Aurora, Minnesota). Very super good writing, has one sitting on the edge of their seat. I happen to listen to books so I can sew and listen at the same time, but they are sooo good. Get an audiobook at the library first (probably Thunder Bay - I'm listening to that book now) (it is #7 in the series). He wrote several of his books at a little restaurant about four blocks from where I live and my husband and I always said that the St. Clair Broiler had the best hamburgers ever!!!! (Just thought I would throw that in.) It is truly a man's book, but I like Wm. Kent Krueger's writing. There is something going on in every page. The best part, I think, is that I am learning so much about the Ojibway in Minnesota.

Good luck to you. Edie
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 AM

Unbroken is wonderful. Edie
Old 12-07-2014, 05:38 AM

Jim the Boy by Tony Earley

A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout

Life As We Know It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

King Rat by James Clavell

Also... any book by Fannie Flagg has me giggling out loud when I read them.