Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?

I need recommendations for a few interesting books. I want to give as gift to my husband. he reads everything but not bodice ripping romances, What have you read lately ? New or old Not quilt books.
    Judy

I've been hooked on J. A. Jance books lately. Mostly the Joanna Brady series, but Jance has other series. Mysteries. My favorite mysteries of all time are Tony Hillerman's books. He writes mysteries set in Arizona. The main characters are with the Reservation police.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

DJ
    I like Ken Follett. The Pillars of the Earth series (Pillars of the Earth; and World Without End) or his newest The Century Trilogy (Fall of Giants; Winter of the World; and Edge of Eternity). I know several men who enjoy these books also. Maybe a boxed set would be nice. They are very large books, though, and I like to read them on my Nook. I think I'd break my nose falling asleep while reading one in bed. LOL

I recommend The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer.

I agree with DJ -the Ken Follett books mentioned above are very good. Lawrence Block & Jeffrey Deaver are authors he might like. (These are all "DH approved"....he reads a lot too.)
    Jo

My book club just read 'The Storied Life of AJ Fikry' by Gabrielle Levin and we all loved it! I agree with The Invisible Bridge and the ken Follett books too. My three favorite authors are Pat Conroy, Geraldine Brooks and Nelson DeMille---anything written by these three are superb books. If he likes non-fiction, I highly recommend 'The Boys In the Boat" and "Unbroken"--both are really really good.

If he likes to read auto-biographies, there is a 3-book series from Dave Pelzer called "A Boy Called IT". It's a real tear-jerker. My sister got so mad at me. I loaned the 1st book to her, and she couldn't put it down, and she read it in one night. Well, so did I.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Two other good mystery writers that write about the Southwest are Aimee & David Thurlo and James D. Doss. Robert Parker for his Spenser and Jesse Stone books. And I get a kick out of Spenser Quinn series about Chet and Bernie (a dog and his detective owner)

Blog Entries
    I have become an avid fan of William Kent Krueger. You can google him and there is a lot about him. He is from Minnesota and he has (so far) 14 books, read in order, with the main character being a cop, Cork Corcoran, and what happens to him in his cop in Northern Minnesota in the Ojibway area (around Aurora, Minnesota). Very super good writing, has one sitting on the edge of their seat. I happen to listen to books so I can sew and listen at the same time, but they are sooo good. Get an audiobook at the library first (probably Thunder Bay - I'm listening to that book now) (it is #7 in the series). He wrote several of his books at a little restaurant about four blocks from where I live and my husband and I always said that the St. Clair Broiler had the best hamburgers ever!!!! (Just thought I would throw that in.) It is truly a man's book, but I like Wm. Kent Krueger's writing. There is something going on in every page. The best part, I think, is that I am learning so much about the Ojibway in Minnesota.

Good luck to you. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Unbroken is wonderful. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Jim the Boy by Tony Earley

A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout

Life As We Know It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

King Rat by James Clavell

Also... any book by Fannie Flagg has me giggling out loud when I read them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post

Agree with Edie.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

The Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is one of the best books I have ever read. If you want to read it, try to do so before the movie comes out. It's a true story and beautifully written and researched
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

Originally Posted by Edie

Agree with Edie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    The Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is one of the best books I have ever read. If you want to read it, try to do so before the movie comes out. It's a true story and beautifully written and researched
    "Unbroken" is an excellent book. If you liked that, you may also want to read. "Devil at My Heels." It is a memoir by Louis Zamperini that was published before Unbroken. It is lesser known, but just as good. There are enough differences in the accounts of his life to make both enjoyable.

I have really enjoyed the Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny. Best series I've come across in a long, long time. It's set in Quebec and follows the Chief Inspector of the Surete as well as the people in a small village called Three Pines.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    I've been hooked on J. A. Jance books lately. Mostly the Joanna Brady series, but Jance has other series. Mysteries. My favorite mysteries of all time are Tony Hillerman's books. He writes mysteries set in Arizona. The main characters are with the Reservation police.
    I love her books.
    Pat

Follow the River by James Alexander Thom. It's an older book but very good. another is Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo. I have read both books more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    I have read every Jance book there is an absolutely love them...I was so fortunate to see that she was doing a book signing in Kansas city...My husband wouldn't leave the fur babies so for the second time in our 35 year marriage I left home and went by myself to Kansas City to attend and spend the weekend with my son...He came and picked me up for the 3 hour drive to his home...the morning of the book signing he said I have a surprise for you...he had contacted her and invited her for lunch..She accepted...I was in shock...what a treat...she is a lovely lady and as interesting as her books. Her husband is equally as great. I wanted so bad to post it back then but didn't think I should.. a couple of weeks ago she gave me permission but I still felt uncomfortable about it thinking it might cause her difficulties if she were bombarded by requests. Anyway what a special weekend that was...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was most impressed by "Unbroken" and it is a biography....I believe a movie has also been made, but I prefer books.....less license taken. I saw the subject interviewed on TV shortly before he died. A VERY good book for men or women!!!

OK, here is where I shamelessly plug my daughter's book. Please forgive, but she can't afford advertising. It probably isn't for a man, but the title is "Chasing the Crown," by Kail Harbick, purchase at amazon.com

It isn't in ebook form yet.

It is a serious look into the Pageant world, behind the scenes. Very clean read, good for teens through my dear mother's age of 91. Makes a nice Christmas gift.

The author, my daughter, was a pageant director for married women. (Throughout the book a person will see what all it takes to enter a pageant, and lots of tips and helps along the way, written into the story.) I think any lady would find it an enjoyable read.

That would be a nice gift for my DH. He likes history books about WWII. Anything with airplanes of WWII. I like romance. Robyn Carr is a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I have really enjoyed the Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny. Best series I've come across in a long, long time. It's set in Quebec and follows the Chief Inspector of the Surete as well as the people in a small village called Three Pines.
    My husband and I have read this wonderful series from book one, Still Life. Excellent writing with heartwarming stories to tell. I never hesitate to recommend this author! Characters and plots are rich and multilayered. Although the subject is murder there is always a little gentle humor to be enjoyed.
    Sew much fabric! Sew little time!

Blog Entries
    Oh! I really enjoyed Pillars of the Earth series and did not know about the Century Trilogy! Will have to head for the library tomorrow!!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I like Ken Follett. The Pillars of the Earth series (Pillars of the Earth; and World Without End) or his newest The Century Trilogy (Fall of Giants; Winter of the World; and Edge of Eternity). I know several men who enjoy these books also. Maybe a boxed set would be nice. They are very large books, though, and I like to read them on my Nook. I think I'd break my nose falling asleep while reading one in bed. LOL
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I agree with the choice of Unbroken. It is an excellent book, well written and engaging. Ken Follett books are also very good. One of my favorite books is Evidence of Things Unseen by Marianne Wiggins. It's not well known, but is well written and very interesting.

Blog Entries
    I just finished The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. (Pulitzer Prize winner, I think, referred from Time Magazine's issue of 100 most influential people this year.) I think both men and women would enjoy this read.

Love the thread - I'm always looking to see what others are enjoying, since I'm a quiltoholic/bookworm person.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

The Ken Follett's trilogy is great reading if you like historical fiction. ,(Fall of Giants; Winter of the World; and Edge of Eternity) andPillars of the Earth
    Have a Blessed Day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast