Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Update on lost quilt >
  • Update on lost quilt

• Update on lost quilt

Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
    Power Poster

One suggestion for all who have to mail/ship their projects. DH said start taking photos of the box as you pack and address the package. He always said I over killed on wrapping and taping packages. I write the to and adds on with industrial markers. I put a topper in the box of the address and I use an envelope to address then tape all over the top and down the sides of the box 1/2 way. I take a photo of it before I leave my house. When I get to the PO I take a photo right after they have applied the postage. That way I know what it looked like when it left my hands and went over the counter. The thing is there is as we all know a time and date on the photo. As soon as that's done, I send the photo to the recipient. They know how it should look when they receive it. I put no notations as to what the contents are. If it's breakable, I just do my best not to put fragile or anything like that on it. But by taking photos you have a record how it looked when it left the counter. I get told about how I overdo/overkill on sending packages; too much tape. I paid for the tape and if I want to "waste" my money on about .50 worth of tape that is my business. Another thing, tape the inside floor seams of the box also. I really hope you get it back and soon. breaks my heart for you. I'm sending prayers from the gulf that you and the recipient get the quilt back and in good condition. And that the creeps who stole it get their come uppance. Prayers!!
    Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 PM

You have my complete sympathy. We drove to NJ from SC to avoid any possibility of the quilts I was gifting to family members disappearing in transit. But there are many times when delivering it yourself is not an option.

However, it's not just the post office who screws up this way. Any mail/package carrier has this kind of problem. It's sad, because often we have no other option but to use USPS, UPS, Fed-ex.

My favorite personal experience is when Amazon shipped a small, inexpensive item that I ordered to me that was lost in transit. Per tracking, it had arrived in Myrtle Beach and was supposed to go to the post office, but never made it.

When I talked to Amazon, the service rep was very nice about it. And then, at the end, he remarked that I had "another one now - for free!"

I told him that since I never got the original shipment, getting the "second" shipment did not make the second shipment free. It meant I finally got what I paid for.

Two years later, the original shipment remains undelivered.
    Old 01-06-2015, 01:06 PM

I, too, am an 'over-taper'. So far, packages that I sent have always arrived where they were sent.
    Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
    I posted to the thread, but in case you didn't see it, I thought I'd post it here as well since many asked me to update everyone if my lost quilt was found.

I received a letter from a Los Angeles post office that said "we found your label that had come lose from your package and it is enclosed". In the envelope was indeed my return label, the paper with the tracking number, etc. AND my original piece of box on which I had written the name and address of my niece and then, to make sure rain or snow didn't smear it, I taped two pieces of clear packing tape over it.

My question for the USPS is how does a name and address written on the box come lose. A label, sure that could happen but less likely if taped down. This was written with pen on the box and is neatly cut out along with my return label and the tracking label.

They ask me to describe the contents, etc. but it's obvious that someone must have opened the box and taken it. I am just heartbroken.
    I'm so sorry. The initial post must have given you some hope.
    Old 01-06-2015, 01:58 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I really like tessagain's idea of going to your local TV station. Just make sure you also have photos. But I'd still be calling that postmaster myself as well.
    Yes, Yes!!! Get on the local news. They are always looking for stories to focus interest on problems like this.
    Old 01-06-2015, 01:59 PM

So sorry for this! Sure looks like it was stolen in the system. I would see if you could file some claim of loss. If it was not insured they can probably deny liability, but might be worth a try. Or could you have some coverage against risk of loss on your personal homeowners insurance policy?
    Old 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM
    Power Poster

Yep the post office sent me the section of a small box with the labels on it and said everything inside was lost. Grrrrr.
    Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM

I sold on eBay for years and learned anything over ten dollars, I wourld insure. I felt I could self insure for ten or less.
    The po outsources their insurance and I had good experiences with claims except they are slow.
    I saw a crockery jug marked fragile and the clerk threw it half way across the room. Somehow I knew there would be a claim there. On eBay when a customer is paying for the insurance the customer files the claim and receives the remuneration.

I have had to validate price of goods for insurance which only involved a copy off invoice.

No amount of money is enough sometimes for handmade items in my opinion.
    Old 01-06-2015, 03:00 PM

OH, this makes me sick. I cannot believe this is what was sent to you. I am so sorry for you. It is so obvious that the return label was taken off and the ship to address was cut off the box. I would be very angry.
    Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM

If the package did get opened and the contents spilled out, the 'vital' parts of the box would be saved (address, etc.), as opposed to the entire box. Give the PO the description and MAYBE they'll find the quilt among the damage packages. Don't give up hope, just yet.