Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Update on lost quilt >

Update on lost quilt

Update on lost quilt

Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 AM

I haven't read it yet, but I hope there was a label on the quilt. If I sent such a thing, I think I would make a label of muslin or some scrap, write all the address information on that, and loosely "applique" it to the quilt. That label could be taken off by the recipient, but couldn't fall off. And I hope it was insured.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 AM

so sorry...I cannot imagine how you feel ....sorry
Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 AM

this happened to me with my grandson's birthday presents and some expensive Justice clothes I put in the box for my granddaughter. I kept asking them if they got the box, they kept saying no. I kept asking post office, they tracked it and kept saying it was at some facility. I kept asking why it was still there. they said no one probably updated progress, well, after 2-3 weeks of me hounding them, I got a letter in the mail, in that letter they said we are sorry, your pkg was destroyed and they put in the return address label, the shipping label, the tracking label and the postage label. And a form to fill out with all the contents and they would "try to locate it" I am sorry, but how does a box get completely destroyed and they have none of the contents and yet they have all the labels from the box to send to you??? I filled it all out, sent it back and didn't get one thing back. Not one thing and no compensation for the contents whatsoever. I am out all that money and my grandson who was 2, didn't get a birthday present and my granddaughter's clothes gone gone gone. I am not very trusting of the postal system anymore. Just thought I would share this story and I am sorry, it wasn't a quilt related post, but fit with the missing quilt post. Sorry but someone is enjoying your niece's quilt on their bed. And probably wearing my granddaughter's clothes and playing with my grandson's toys.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

How does this happen (and it should not)??? Mechanized sorting...big pay for people to stand and watch a conveyor belt. A machine can tear up a package, but there should be a way to retrieve the contents...keep pursuing!!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 AM

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...Get on the phone with the post office that lost/damaged your package...get a human with a name, and make a pain of yourself..call, and call and call. Do not give up..make it easier for them to find your quilt than to put you at the bottom of the pile.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I haven't read it yet, but I hope there was a label on the quilt. If I sent such a thing, I think I would make a label of muslin or some scrap, write all the address information on that, and loosely "applique" it to the quilt. That label could be taken off by the recipient, but couldn't fall off. And I hope it was insured.
This is a wonderful idea! A piece of Tyvek envelope could also be used for the label.

I just sent off a couple of quilts, to my great-nephew and great-niece. I packed them in a 'space bag' and included a shipping label, in that bag. Needless to say, the box was securely taped every which way, just in case the space bag springs a leak!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:36 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
The squeaky wheel gets the grease...Get on the phone with the post office that lost/damaged your package...get a human with a name, and make a pain of yourself..call, and call and call. Do not give up..make it easier for them to find your quilt than to put you at the bottom of the pile.
YES, YES, YES and YES!!!! Even if it is not your nature...become a pain in the .........
Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 AM

I truly love how everyone jumps on the "Post Office Stole It" wagon. If you have not worked in one of the big plants, you have no clue. The machinery all packages go thru would blow your mind. Add to that the lack of simple common sense when sending articles is mind boggling. No, one single piece of tape will not guarantee your package will not open. No, do not wrap your box like a Christmas gift. No, do not put a bow on top. Do not place in the same box that should have stayed under your tree. I know I have heard to put the address inside of the box since I was a kid and I'm 62.

Rant over.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

You know what Kathy states is true, BUT if that's the case and they have the label, that office should be checking to see who the mail handlers were at the time. You should have some type of timing stamps on the label. I would take it to the local post office in your city (where you posted it from) and ask them to explain. They may be able to help you. Still praying you get it back or the recipient does.
Originally Posted by kathy View Post
now it IS possible that the box was ripped open by machinery or mishandling and the contents fell out, don't give up yet.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 AM

Every time I put one of my quilts in the mail I think will it make it there. Such a shame that people can be so dishonest, but we are told judgement isn't ours. I'm so sorry .I always put a mailing sticker inside packages with
both my name and to whom the package is for. Hoping if the box is damaged this will give them the place to send it on to.