Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Learned something new about kits and muslin backing >
  • Learned something new about kits and muslin backing

• Learned something new about kits and muslin backing

Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 AM

I would not buy a kit that said fabrics may vary from the photo. Occasionally I'll look at a kit offered on-line, but I've never seen one that said the fabrics you receive may not be the same as what's shown.
    Old 02-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I would not buy a kit that said fabrics may vary from the photo. Occasionally I'll look at a kit offered on-line, but I've never seen one that said the fabrics you receive may not be the same as what's shown.
    Well, I certainly won't again. Learned my lesson.
    Old 02-26-2015, 12:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If you are unhappy with it, likely won't hang it after all, then go for the tea dying - surely you can't hurt it more than you already don't like it.

Several tea bags in a quart or so of hot water to steep a dense tea. Soak for a while. The longer you soak, the deeper the color, some of which will wash out when you rinse the fabric well.

Jan in VA
    Old 02-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    If you are unhappy with it, likely won't hang it after all, then go for the tea dying - surely you can't hurt it more than you already don't like it.

Several tea bags in a quart or so of hot water to steep a dense tea. Soak for a while. The longer you soak, the deeper the color, some of which will wash out when you rinse the fabric well.

Jan in VA
    Precaution: I did the tea bag thing trying to darken a fabric and had bad luck. First, I did not notice the tea had bubbles on top, so when I dipped the fabric, it ended up having patterns (patchy, like air bubbles, duh) on the fabric, and was too dark. I washed it several times to get out the mess. Even bleached it. Never did come out. Any other time, when I spilled tea on something, it usually came out, but when I really wanted it to come out, no such luck! Try a scrap first. I am sure it was operator error, lol.
    Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 PM

Hmmmm ..... I've ordered clearance kits from CT and the colours are always true to what I see on my monitor. Your monitor many not be showing colours as true at it should.

The only time I tried tea dye, the "colour" washed completely out. There must be some way to set the colour because I read about it all the time.

Clearance kits are a great way to build your stash.
    Old 02-26-2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon
    Hmmmm ..... I've ordered clearance kits from CT and the colours are always true to what I see on my monitor. Your monitor many not be showing colours as true at it should.

The only time I tried tea dye, the "colour" washed completely out. There must be some way to set the colour because I read about it all the time.

Clearance kits are a great way to build your stash.

Not just different colors, totally different cloths.
    They do give you a lot of extra cloth that's true.
    Old 02-26-2015, 02:31 PM

If you are that disappointed, why not call their customer service line and let them know. I think they have great customer service. I received a kit from them and opened it right away so still had the catalogue to compare and it was right on. I know that won't get your time back that you spent making the item, but I think the company needs to know how disappointed you are with their product.
    Old 02-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by yngldy
    Precaution: I did the tea bag thing trying to darken a fabric and had bad luck. First, I did not notice the tea had bubbles on top, so when I dipped the fabric, it ended up having patterns (patchy, like air bubbles, duh) on the fabric, and was too dark. I washed it several times to get out the mess. Even bleached it. Never did come out. Any other time, when I spilled tea on something, it usually came out, but when I really wanted it to come out, no such luck! Try a scrap first. I am sure it was operator error, lol.
    Well, you do have to be sure that all the fabric is wet and submerged. I stir frequently during the process; have never had a patchy problem.

Jan in VA
    Old 02-27-2015, 03:27 AM
    Power Poster

I would let them know of my displeasure just for the principle of the issue
    Old 02-27-2015, 03:32 AM

Although I have not purchased a ton of kits, I have not experienced your disappointment. In fact, I have had great success with CT and a few other kit purchases