Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins? >
  • Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins?

• Anyone interested in getting metal bobbins?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:28 PM

I'd love Elna Grasshopper (swiss made) bobbins and could use Pfaff and original metal 15's with the deep cut. I never seem to get bobbins with my machines.

Really where DO the bobbins disappear to?
    Old 03-25-2015, 06:22 AM

I'd like to know where they go too...I like to have lots of bobbins but seems like most of the time when I get a machine, even if I get a box of accessories there's only 1 or 2 bobbins in there if I'm lucky. Usually there's just the one that's in the machine.

I did find a good supplier for NEW metal class 66's that actually fit and work in my various old Singers; they're really good so I bought 30 of them before they could vanish on me! I need Pfaff 15's too, I only have one. One bobbin is not enough!
    Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 AM

Quick, send them to Macybaby. She's our wonder worker, and willingly helps any of us that she can. I need some of the old metal bobbins, but without them here in front of me, I can't say what machine I need them for. I'd say mostly FW and 301, they're the most scarce, in my mind.
    Old 03-25-2015, 07:37 AM

All too often, bobbins get left in the cabinet and the machine removed and sold/donated. I find it fun when I get a machine/cabinet with the stuff still there - how much does not belong to the current machine. Most often it's for an older machine, so it just got moved along with any other sewing supplies.

My Standard (stout) rotary came with an almost compete set of Singer VS2 attachments.

I looked at a Davis VF machine ones, that came with a full set of Greist attachments - for a rotary zigzag machine.

Right now I have a little gremlin that likes to steal bobbins. He's quite careful about it, except once he gets to the floor, he likes the noise they make and I hear it and retributive them. He's also started stealing pins - very carefully pulls them out of the pin cushion. He also loves playing around the sewing machines - gets up and sits on top of the longarm too. At least he's only unwound three rolls of TP so far.

To the OP - if you post pictures, some of the bobbins are really easy to tell what they are for, and if most of yours are the same, we may be able to figure that out for you.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 AM

I would say send them to Macybaby and let her do what she does so well and find out what they go to. I only have 7 here to try them on.
    Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM

My Singer Red Eye needs a bobbin. All of mine are too big or too thick. But I would think I could find them locally.
    And I have a Singer 15-91 without a bobbin case and no bobbins. I found a bobbin case that fit in it this last weekend, but the finger wouldn't line up correctly. It isn't that old; from 1954, so they should be around also.
    Old 03-25-2015, 09:40 PM

I could use bobbins for a 201-2 .also bobbin for a model 66 made in 1928. I would be so grateful if you have them.
    Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by wolf3349
    I could use bobbins for a 201-2 .also bobbin for a model 66 made in 1928. I would be so grateful if you have them.
    They use the same bobbins
    Old 03-26-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by wolf3349
    Originally Posted by maviskw
    My Singer Red Eye needs a bobbin. All of mine are too big or too thick. But I would think I could find them locally.
    For 66's, 99's, and anything else that takes a Singer class 66 bobbin, these are the nicest modern bobbins I've found:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Bobbin-17222...dp/B0040ZFPBK/

They're steel, well-formed, and they're actually the correct size, unlike modern Singer-brand class 66 bobbins. I tested them in my two 99K's and my 500A and they fit perfectly. I searched around and found a store called Gold Star that sold sewing machine accessories and I thought they might be the same people so ordered some through them, but they are NOT the same as these ones from Amazon. The ones from Amazon are superior. I think they're on par with the vintage bobbins.
    Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 AM

4th from the right looks like what 221....301 uses. I could use those!