Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Doing Research for a New Machine >
  • Doing Research for a New Machine

• Doing Research for a New Machine

Old 04-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by auntnana
    I'm extremely pleased with my Brother PC420PRW. It has 294 stiches and 3 lettering options, more than I will ever use. I had two other Brothers from Wal-Mart before selling them for my current machine. All were extremely nice. I just upgrade little by little. Still love my SE400 I use for embroidery only now. The most noticeable thing about the PC420 is that it is SO quiet! I purchased from Amazon and they still have it for $369 and shipping is free. I agree that a needle up/down, threader, and good light would be 3 things I would now have to have on a machine. It handles the fmq I've done really well. Good luck!
    I agree with everything said here, except don't forget that wonderful scissors!! Had to have the scissors, threader, needle up/down, easy to learn and use, and no rounded throat. The PC420PRW foot the bill and then some. Bummed mine came with a defective 'G' presser foot, but ordered another Brother genuine foot elsewhere. I waited quite awhile to use all the feet so check your purchase out within 90 days if buying a machine from Amazon. I ordered the extension table, a side cutter, and a ruffler and they all work fantastic on this machine. This machine has everything except embroidery, so if you really don't need that, it has my vote.
    Also, the button hole foot is a cinch to use. Fast and neat. The book it comes with is very thorough and easy to understand.
    Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM

I recently purchased a Janome JW7630 and so far and happy w/it. Here is link ...
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Janome-30-...W7630/29200581
    Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM
    Administrator

i will cast another vote for the Brother PC-420.
    i searched high and low for an affordable machine with "the scissors button."
    it was the only one i found under $669.
    even adding the cost of the extension table and 1/4" foot i saved a ton.

i had a big-box brother i could lift with two fingers.
    (will not "diss" that machine. for the price it was fabulous. just didn't have the auto thread cutter, which i realized i cannot live without. soooooo spoiled i am. LOL)

imagine my surprise when the PC-420 arrived.
    it's easily portable, but not super-light.
    a solid, "dealer quality" machine with a much larger throat than a lot of brothers.
    it's jam-packed with features i have not seen on any other machine at that price point.
    i love, love, love the needle threader and bobbin load.
    i am very glad i found it and expect it to last for years and years.
    Old 04-08-2015, 05:54 AM

I'm narrowing it down and am seriously considering a Janome. The confusing thing to me is their exclusive to certain store machines. It's not always easy to find reviews on these models and it's hard trying to figure out what is the general equivalent is for each model. Has anyone that's used a Janome used it for FMQ? And what is your experience? Thanks!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f81c71f0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: language