Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I started another quilt--but >
  • I started another quilt--but

• I started another quilt--but

Old 04-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Much better, Don. What will you be using around the green? Personally I think a baby/sky blue would work really well.

Jan in VA
    Old 04-10-2015, 03:59 PM

The block I know as Flying Dutchman is a bit different than yours....check out on web.....I should create a large pinwheel from the flying geese blocks....by correct color placement. Check out on web
    Old 04-10-2015, 04:01 PM

Your block is a bit different from what I know as Flying Dutchman...placing of color in flying geese will create a pinwheel...do a search on the web and check out the various options,
    Old 04-10-2015, 04:33 PM

I think you could pull in the white you have on the outside, it would really bring out the green pinwheel. But whatever you choose I think it should be something light...maybe yellow or tan. It's a great block, let us know what you pick!
    Old 04-10-2015, 04:57 PM

I think you need a green the color of the leaves in the red print. froggyintexas
    Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 PM

I would suggest a creamy white tone on tone- there are many different types of blender fabrics depending on the look you want. I love the fabrics you've chosen!
    Old 04-10-2015, 11:55 PM

I'm mostly sticking with my original answer. I said gold/tan/brown, but with the green as the inner pinwheel, I'd probably go with the lighter end of that, gold/tan/cream.

While I think a dark brown could provide a nice contrast with the green, making it more like the dark red from the magazine picture, I'm worried it wouldn't have enough contrast against the black fabric. A lighter color seems safer.

Now surprise us all by choosing purple.
    Old 04-11-2015, 04:01 AM
    Power Poster

A creamy yellow or a lighter green ... Even a pink. Whatever you can pick up from the prints that flows
    Old 04-11-2015, 06:25 AM

It seem to me that the inner pinwheel is "lost". There is not enough contrast between those fabrics. Are they all "muddy mediums"? It is a lovely pattern, and lovely fabrics, but you need contrast to see the pinwheels.
    Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Don, What I find that works great for me when I get stuck is to chose many different fabrics from my stash then one at a time, roll enough fabric out so I can lay the pieces you already have cut out on top of that fabric.

This will give you the best picture of how they work or don't work together. You may even find that the white you have as the outside works better on the inside with the green. Then doing the outer pieces in a different color like a beige or tan.

The one color that I see in all the fabrics other then the white is green. But the Green you are using as the middle pinwheel is more a med or dark green. If I were to try this using my way. I would first lay out a piece of lighter green that matched the color in the red fabric to see if I liked it. My second choice would be to try a piece that matched the flowers in the red piece (it looks like a peach or beige on my computer). But I think you get the picture. I didn't pick colors in the black fabric because they all look like light & dark reds, green and white which would give you to many of the same colors.

Anyway, I hope this helps some.