Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • sewing in two directions? >
  • sewing in two directions?

• sewing in two directions?

Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 AM

On a quilt frame one reason for starting in the middle if possible such as long borders is to alleviate some draw-in. If I'm working on E2E patterns I will stitch one left to right and then next row right to left similar to how we're told to piece numerous strips together. Think its all about draw-in though not always possible.
    Old 04-18-2015, 05:34 AM

when you are sewing clothing, stitching in one direction can make a big difference. example - if you have a skirt with several panels, if you sew some waist to hem, and some hem to waist, you may have issues (though some fabric is OK, some not).

I have never had issues with quilting, other than those associated with lining up points - sometimes I do start at the center and sew out because it's the easiest way to keep the center lined up correctly.
    Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 AM

I sew in all directions using a walking foot by turning my quilt. Technically I'm sewing forward all the time but the direction on the quilt changes. That's how I get the pattern I want. With FMQ you can go which ever way you want without turning. I have never heard about only going in one direction.
    Old 04-18-2015, 10:39 AM
    Power Poster

I apologize for not remembering the teacher's name (Sr. Moment), but several years ago I took a machine quilting class from the owner of Heartbeat Quilts, I believe it is in Hyannis, MA, but she definitely has her shot on Cape Cod, MA. After explaining her method of pin basting, she was asked how she maneuvered her quilt when quilting, she told us that she starts at one edge and works her way to the other side. Her rationale was that if the quilt is adequately pin basted, there should not be a problem with the quilting using that method. In my many years of quilting I have learned that there is no one way to quilt, but whatever works for you. Have I helped or have I gotten you more confused, if I've confused you more, I apologize. I just know that I have managed to break many, many "rules" in quilting, but I'm told that all my quilts are beautiful. So go with whatever floats your boat.