Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Monofilament thread in a long arm >
  • Monofilament thread in a long arm

• Monofilament thread in a long arm

Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM
    Power Poster

Monopoly by Superior is a "low sheen" super fine monofilament polyester. http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...brand=MonoPoly

Even though they market it as low sheen, it is still shiny. The old stuff that got pokie and brittle was nylon and a much heavier gauge than the monopoly. It comes in a clear and smoke color there is no matte finish there is only one finish and yes it is a bit shiny and does reflect light in situations where a strong light is focused on the quilt, like your LA lighting or spotlights. However when under normal lighting conditions it is virtually invisible. I wouldn't be without it for ditching applique or ditching a multi-colored quilt. I don't use it for fill work, only for ditch work. I use magnaglide in the bobbin which is a poly and have no issues.

Glide also makes a beautiful monofilament called Essence. That one is a nylon. So I really don't know if it get brittle over time. I would not recommend going over either with an iron. The stuff is finer than a human hair and would probably melt quite easily. For your LA buy it on a cone. It will last you a very long time and is definitely worth the investment.

I used it to top stitch this raw edge applique and you can see it blends right in. All you see is the indent of stitching:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]520710[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails dsc04897.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 05-25-2015 at 02:18 PM.