Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I was just asked to teach 2 young girls how to sew. >
  • I was just asked to teach 2 young girls how to sew.

• I was just asked to teach 2 young girls how to sew.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:04 PM

1 large 4 patch, and let them quilt it using the decorative stitches on your machine. They love those decorative stitches, and a large 4 patch goes fast. You can teach them how to thread the machine, wind bobbins, etc as part of preparation for sewing.
    Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    The pillowcase with the enclosed seams is usually popular with young people. Pick cute fabrics and the sewing is fairly simple, quick and they have a take home project to use. I just saw an ad for Minion fabric, they would love that.
    I started teaching my granddaughter making pillowcases - she loved being able to choose fabrics for people. Good luck and have fun.
    Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM
    Power Poster

I agree with Tartan that a pillowcase might be fun for them to make.
    Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM

I teach and I actually prefer the kids to the adults. Most structured classes want the kids to make a pillowcase first - straight seams, learning the machine speeds, etc. I need to follow the rules so we make a pillowcase, but I show them how to thread thru a drawstring and make it a carryall bag. Then we make 'lounge' pants (aka pajama pants). They can make them long or short, the fit is not real important and it is a great way to show them how to do basic changes to a pattern. Measuring the hips and adjusting to that. These type of items give them confidence and real products they can use. Depending on how well they do you can make more or start adding items - a basic skirt with zipper, a sleeveless blouse with collar and then a sleeve pattern. I make messenger bags and sports duffle bags - especially with the boys - and they get so excited that they want to try a shirt. One boy made a tropical print shirt for his dad for his birthday! I get so juiced up watching them catch the sewing fever!!! Have fun.
    Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Ask them what they'd like to make. Then come up with a lesson plan that will help them achieve it. You may not start with that project but explain how each lesson's technique will be used in their final project.
    Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 PM

You have gotten lots of great suggestions. Here's a quick one I just did with my 2 grandkids. A pillow was pretty quick and then I taught my grandson the art of pulling the stuffing apart and stuffing the pillow. His desire was make to make a pillow for his beloved cat but I know he uses it too. My DGD wanted to make a pillow for her dolls.

I did start kids out with straight line aprons. In that I also taught them to make their own patterns out of newspaper. Simple shorts can be a pretty interesting project.
    Old 08-24-2015, 11:16 AM

Yes, I used to teach a Home School class of about 20. The youngest was 5 and the oldest were mothers and grandmothers. We were meeting in the church social room, and so we did hand sewing and quilting. If we lived closer I would love to help you get started. My girls all loved hand sewing so they could take it anywhere with them. I had the class for about 3 years, maybe 4, I don't remember for sure. The youngest in the class is now a college graduate and was married a couple of months ago. So it wasn't recently.