Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I use this to back a quilt? >

Can I use this to back a quilt?

Can I use this to back a quilt?

Old 11-07-2015, 05:21 AM

Don't be scared away from machine quilting with the blanket....it does work! Because the fabric in the blanket is a bit stretchy, you will want to use a good basting spray to secure the blanket to the top....this keeps the blanket from stretching or shifting and you will get no puckers/pleats. Straight line quilting with a walking foot is quick and easy. FMQ is a bit more difficult, but can be done. Whatever quilting method you choose, it won't show much on the backside. Be sure to prewash the blanket, as they do have a tendency to bleed. I had one that bled in the wash for the first dozen times I washed it! That one was used on a scrap/utility quilt and washed with color catchers.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:18 AM

There is no 'reason' not to use Soft and Comfy for your backing. You will run into a problem with actually quilting it. There is a wicked horizontal stretch. Even with a walking foot, it will stretch as you are quilting it. I have found it necessary to baste my sandwiched blanket and also pin each line of quilting individual. Do your vertical stitching first and start all designs in the middle and work out. Looser longer stitches help too. It is very tricky. If you take your time and have boat loads of patience, it's a wonderful finished project.

I've never used basting spray, as my quilts get donated to Project Linus, and the added product is frowned upon - however, I think I will try Buckeye Rose's suggestion.

Last edited by thread mess; 11-07-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:34 AM

I had a microfiber blanket that over time fell apart - made fluff messes (3years or so)...washed it a few times and always dried it. Personally I wouldn't use it for a batting/backing if I wanted the quilt to be around any amount of time.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

And toss it into a dryer to see how it reacts at least on low heat.
Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I would just wash it first in case it bleeds or shrinks a lot. Then use it!
Old 11-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

No reason why you can't use it if you want ... remember it is your quilt!

I used fleece for the backing on this quilt, and shared some how-to notes in posts #1 and #17.
You may find the same "issues" with the microfibre as I did when quilting with fleece.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

So, go ahead and finish that quilt ... and soon you can show it to us, all finished!
Old 11-07-2015, 06:50 AM

I think it will work fine. I spray baste my fleece or minky backing with 505 basting spray (or whatever brand you have) to the quilt front & then FMQ. If you spray baste the layers don't shift at all.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:57 AM

I used one to back a quilt. Haven't put the binding on yet, but fmq was a easy. I think it actually slid easier on the machine than cotton fabric does. I'm definitely going to do more quilts with micro-fiber blanket backing.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:11 AM

Yes, it's still a quilt! The Quilt Police will just have to tough it out. It's your quilt, so do what floats your boat.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:13 AM

I found a blanket at Savers to try using for batting and backing for a quilt I made a granddaughter that lives in cold Pennsylvania. I washed it numerous times and it quilted beautifully. It is her favorite quilt!
Attached Thumbnails nail-polish-quilt-2015.jpg   back-nail-polish-quilt-2015.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 AM

I too have used fleece for the back of some of my quilts. I have also used old blankets that were in great shape. They all came out looking beautiful.