Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilting question >
  • Quilting question

• Quilting question

Old 01-03-2016, 10:41 PM

All of the above ways to prevent puckering are excellent. Also if you are pin basting the pins need to be a fist apart which is very close, in my case about 4". The more pins the better and don't forget to get as much fabric as possible in each pin.
    Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 AM

Instead of pulling each layer taut when layering, I lay them on top of the first one, pat and pull gently while using Sullivan's spray. The "patting" really works especially for the batting. For each layer, I spray a section at a time and work my way down the quilt. So far I've never had a wrinkle.

BTW, this also works for binding - I do not measure and cut the binding or borders and then try to make them fit. I cut it a few inches longer (4-6") and just layer it onto the quilt pinning just 6" to 12" ahead of the needle. Then I'll trim the corners. Again, no wrinkles ever.
    Old 01-05-2016, 05:33 AM

When I put my quilts together I spray baste first the backing & batting together, then the top & batting, then I press both the front & back. That is what I learned from taking a couple of Craftsy classes on FMQ and it works well for me - never any puckers.
    Old 01-05-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by kellyer21
    It's curious, though. It seems like of the back being too taut were the problem there would be puckering even before I started quilting. Right?
    As far as starching, I'll try that!
    I tried glue basting before, it didn't make the layers stick at all. Same with spray basting, tried it with no success.
    With spray or glue basting, you do one side at a time. Such as - batting down, spray/glue, backing down, smooth, if glue allow to dry or iron dry. Turn everything over so batting is once again on top/face up. Spray/glue, put top on and smooth, smooth, smooth, allow to dry or iron to dry. I usually allow the glue 24 hours to dry but I have a balcony I can hang it from, so it isn't in the way. Try again, that way.
    Old 01-06-2016, 10:34 PM

I have been using Fusible batting and then pinning also on the few quilts I have done, I know this is a bit of over kill but have noticed that with all the pushing and pulling on the quilt through the harp on my domestic the sandwich is still coming loose around the edges so the over kill is working well for this SID beginner
    Old 01-07-2016, 01:00 AM

I did a Lone Star backing using starch. I used Sta-Flo 1 part starch to 1 part water. I put the backing fabric in a plastic tub & poured the starch/water mixture on the fabric, rolling it over as I went. I used enough to get the fabric nice & wet. I let it set for about an hour & then squeezed out any excess & tossed it in the dryer. I took it out while slightly damp & ironed it. I pinned my quilt, using a good 600 2 inch safety pins. On my machine I found using the "Duel feed" & a D foot worked better than a walking foot. I also did machine embroidery on the quilt & thru it all there was not one pucker. Starching the backing really made a big difference. I also spray starched my top as I went, so all the fabric was nice & stiff, which gives you a lot less streching thru the quilting process.