Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff? >

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

What should I buy? Bernina or Pfaff?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:06 AM

I love my Pfaff expression 2.0. The attached walking foot and wide throat are the main things I love about it. But, you need to try each machine and see what works best for you. If you have narrowed it down to two, you are probably already doing that. I took a test sample to sew on when I shopped for my machine. It really helped.

Good luck and have fun with your decision.

Dina
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 AM

I have no real experience with Bernina other than a 'test run'. I was really keen on the Stitch Regulator - hated it - could FMQ much better without it. I also objected to having to pay another $160 for a walking foot.

I now have 2 Pfaffs - a QE 4.0 and a Performance 5 (bought instead of the Bernina). Don't think I could go back to a machine without the auto-pivot now, something you would very quickly come to love if, like me, you do a lot of machine applique (as soon as you stop sewing in the needle-down position the presser foot lifts a little allowing you to turn your fabric). I also love the Sensormatic FMQ mode - the foot 'hovers' above the fabric, but you can choose the 'hoppy foot' (as I call it, lol) setting if you prefer.

I'm not sure if the 3.5 has all these features though. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 AM

Do you have your heart set on getting one of those two machines? If so, try both. You'll know it's either your style or not.

If you are open to options, I'd suggest you look at the janome 8200 . I have it and love it. Big 11 inch throat. A dream at FMQ, lots of Sec. Stitches and alphabet. Intuitive, easy to clean, powerful but not a speed demon. It costs a lot less than other machines of its caliber and the huge throat is wonderful.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Purchase a machine with the best dealer. IMHO the dealer is the best part of your machine. Classes? Repairs? Problems? Is the dealer knowledgeable when it comes to these features?????? You will need to take your machine in for service at least once a year.....what happens....does the machine get sent away is it cleaned/fixed on site? What is the turn around time? How far away is your dealer? After buy 3 TOL machines I have discovered the dealer is your best friend. You must connect with your dealer. Go to the dealers in your areas....take different types of fabric to try sewing on. Try out all the machines that have YOUR qualifications, no matter the brand....you may be surprised. Your dealer will allow you to test drive all the machines, answer any questions, and deal with you. GOOD LUCK .....let us know what you decide.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Thanks so much for your input. It really helps to get information from other quilters and from people who are not involved in the sale of a machine. Buying a new machine is a big purchase so I'm trying to make an informed decision with an open mind. Keep those posts coming. Still wondering about the top loading bobbin. Good? Bad?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 AM

Check out the Janomes. Happy hunting.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 AM

Top loading bobbin is nicer if you have your machine in a cabinet. I have to pull my machine up to replace the bobbin in my Bernina 350. Before I had my cabinet, I liked the front/side loading ones better because I could change out my bobbin without having to pull the quilt completely off my machine. The main benefit of the Bernina (front) bobbins is that they are metal. Top loading bobbins are usually plastic -- as they are with the Pfaff 3.0. Metal bobbins are less likely to warp. I used plastic bobbins with my old Singer & they do need to be replaced over time -- especially if you use monofilament thread or if you accidentally overfill them. The nice thing about plastic is they aren't expensive to replace. A 10-pack of the Bernina bobbins retails for $30 and they rarely go on sale.

When properly wound with cotton thread (which is almost exclusively what I use), I haven't noticed a difference in performance between the two. I use the same thread top & bobbin and almost never use any decorative stitches.

Also, I wanted to mention that at least at my local dealer, the warranty & included service on the Bernina was much better than what I would have got with the Pfaff (same dealer). Something to consider when adding everything up. I got 2 more cleaning appointments for the Bernina & it has a better warranty.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

I have an older Bernina 1530 and I love it. Check to make sure it is made in Switzerland.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 PM

The built-in walking foot was why I bought a Pfaff. Plus, all your old feet will fit the new machine.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:19 PM

With Berninas, there is a big difference between their 5.5 mm stitch width machines and their other machines. The classic Bernina CB bobbin won't work with wider stitches than 5.5mm or so, so the other machines have a rotary bobbin (like your long arm). I strongly prefer the CB bobbin because the straight stitch (well adjusted) doesn't have that slight diagonal look the rotary bobbin gives. The disadvantage is that the stitches are only 5.5 mm wide! There definitely are times I wish my featherstich was wider, but I sacrifice that for the perfect stitch. The other disadvantage of the wide stitch machines while piecing is that they are slightly harder to adjust for a scant 1/4" seam while still keeping the fabric in both feed dogs for even feeding. The feed dogs have to be wider, just like the stitch is. This is the reason I bought my Bernina 440 instead of one of the other machines - CB bobbin, narrower feed dogs, featherstich (yes, I really did buy a machine to replace my beloved 1031 because I wanted a featherstich!).As for the Pfaff, I have friends who love them. They traditionally have gorgeous heirloom stitches so you will get a great featherstich. Most (or all) have rotary bobbins and wide stitches.Pam