Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern? >

If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern?

If you don't like the sample quilt colors, are you interested in the pattern?

Old 10-08-2016, 02:24 PM

Usually it is the color in the pattern that attracts me, but I find it is often the fabric dictates the pattern to me. When Turning 20 first came out, I didn't care for it, all the fabrics seemed smashed together. Then a friend and I wanted to make a Halloween/Birthday quilt for another friend and I had so many different fabrics to use, it was perfect for what we wanted to do. So now I am more likely to find fabric then find the pattern to compliment it.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:02 PM

When looking at quilts, I don't think I register primarily the color. I think it's first an overall impression of the genre of the quilt that makes the impact -- that is, whether it's modern and bright, reproduction and traditional, etc. I'm able to separate the genre of fabric and colors from the pattern; I'm not sure how this works. Sometimes a color scheme will definitely make an impact and I'll admire it, but that won't incline me to make the quilt. It's the pattern that gets me.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I often look at design and envision it in a different color scheme. Sometimes I like the colors it is but I am drawn to design unless it's just ( perfect colors ) in my mind. I've found I used to purchase kits because I loved a quilt, but when the kit arrived I would swap out most of the fabrics. Dumb for me to buy a kit- I don't think I've ever made a kit quilt using the kit fabrics. So -- I see design, don't pay attention enough to the colors ( otherwise I wouldn't buy a kit I'm not going to use)
Old 10-08-2016, 06:28 PM

I am sucked in by the colors. It takes determination for me to get past the color to study/appreciate the pattern if I don't care for the colors.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:04 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Lands, long before all our fancy technical tools were even invented, I was 'seeing' quilts in terms of pattern rather than color. What I couldn't quickly see, I drew out on graph paper and colored in whatever way came to me. I still do this, but, now I often graph in the Paint program on my laptop.

I believe if you will train yourself to "find the block" it will be easier for you to see the quilt as pattern, beyond the color.

Jan in VA
Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 PM

Color is what catches my eye when I look at pictures of quilts--with magazines I will see a quilt and sometimes the fabric (seems they try to use every fabric in the line when making the quilt) seems to busy and lacks the needed contrast--or just plain seems boring to me. So I make a habit of always looking at the schematic drawing that shows all the blocks and is often in black/white/gray or solid colors--same with patterns--cause that lets me see what the block & quilt design really is.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:12 AM

I seldom have this problem since I never can follow a pattern exactly anyway. I always tend to change it up a lot and make it mine ...the last Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt I tried I did not like the colors together so I broke it apart and made two quilts...one black, white, red and the other browns and neutrals...they both came out very nice. If I ever made this quilt again, I would definitely use my own colors...Bonnie even encourages this.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:35 AM

I'm with joes mom. I pick a pattern by the over all aesthetically pleasing vision it gives me. And then I go home and change the colors and whatever I want as I go along. THe pattern is just a starting place, so to speak. It's hard for me to visualize the finished piece. I just keep going till it looks done, to me. I just know, somehow. I guess I'm just an old fashioned quilter with crazy ways.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:49 AM

Sometimes I have trouble choosing colors-especially when many different colors are involved. So, if I am drawn to a pattern because it is vibrant and nicely balanced, I like to take a picture (if appropriate), print it, enlarge it in black and white. Then I cut bits of my fabric choices and paste them on the black and white picture. This way I can work in the light, medium and darks and the scale of prints. I am always drawn to any picture that has green and purple-but i can't make every quilt purple and green.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:04 AM

Like Ckkowl and Jan, it is a pattern that catches my eye. I may like the colors it is made up in but usually not. For me, choosing and coordinating fabrics is one of my favorite parts of the quilting process.