Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Guilds & charity quilts quesion >
  • Guilds & charity quilts quesion

• Guilds & charity quilts quesion

Old 12-09-2016, 05:10 AM
    Power Poster

I belong to three guilds one small, two large (over 100 members). None are registered as non profit. We have sales, raffles, and have quilt shows. We aren't registered as anything to state or federal. All three guilds have a designated all day sew day once a month for donations quilts. Or kits made up to take home to work sew and turn in. We have several lawyers and one retired judge as members in the larger guilds. And the mayor's wife is a member of the smaller guild. I guess you can make a guild as formal as the group wants it to be.
    Old 12-09-2016, 05:29 AM

It sounds like your leadership is either dictatorial and the membership is not one the same page. Do you have the right information about legal and guild requirements? If your participation for the sewing day is poor it sounds like another avenue of making charity quilts is in order. Personally, I would not go and tie quilts because they do not hold up in use. Yes, they might be quicker than simple grid quilting or meandering quilting but they just do not hold up. I know I would not do that. You need more information and an open and honest discussion and a new, unified plan. There is nothing nicer than fellowship and sewing but.....you need to want to do it. Why, do you want to belong; or, do you want to belong?
    Old 12-09-2016, 08:53 AM
    Power Poster

I think Prism is correct, that your group's by-laws state that this annual meeting is required, and that this was part of the plan to get non-profit status. There are many reasons why even a small guild would want to be designated as a non-profit. One reason is that it enables donors to write off their donations to the group. I've belonged to a number of guilds in different areas, and all were involved in charitable works and had non-profit status. Even the smallest guild (fewer than 30 members) applied for this status and received it while I was a member. It was not expensive, required no lawyers, and was based on the quilt education that the guild provided to the community (teaching children to quilt, quilting workshops for adults, etc.) This guild also provided a large number of quilts to members of the community, but my point is that the non-profit status does not have to be based on making and giving away quilts; it can be based on other types of activities, and the real requirement is to show that the group has a purpose that does not include making a profit.
    Old 12-09-2016, 11:10 AM

We get a small grant to apply to sewing for charity. All the Granter asks is a report and a few photos. I know this isn't answering OP's question, however.
    Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 PM

This is an interesting thread. For years various members of our guild have sworn up and down that we are a non-profit organization with the IRS. I have asked to see the 501c3 papers, including the reports that have to be made to the IRS. There aren't any. There is confusion in our group over 501c3 status and the state sale tax exemption that we have. Perhaps that is the case with the poster's guild. In her case, I would ask to see ANY paperwork that states that rule about charity work at one meeting per year. If any document comes forward, then examine it to see what authority it has.
    Old 12-09-2016, 06:31 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I've been a member/board member of several 503c quilt guilds over the years and none of them required on site making of 'charity' quilts. In fact, we made them at home and turned them in at meetings during Show and Tell. The current guild has a group of dedicated members (about 12-18) who meet monthly for 4-5 hours to assemble, sew, or complete quilts to be donated. Many other members sew them only at home and bring them to the meetings.

Jan in VA
    Old 12-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I think Prism is correct, that your group's by-laws state that this annual meeting is required, and that this was part of the plan to get non-profit status. There are many reasons why even a small guild would want to be designated as a non-profit. One reason is that it enables donors to write off their donations to the group. I've belonged to a number of guilds in different areas, and all were involved in charitable works and had non-profit status. Even the smallest guild (fewer than 30 members) applied for this status and received it while I was a member. It was not expensive, required no lawyers, and was based on the quilt education that the guild provided to the community (teaching children to quilt, quilting workshops for adults, etc.) This guild also provided a large number of quilts to members of the community, but my point is that the non-profit status does not have to be based on making and giving away quilts; it can be based on other types of activities, and the real requirement is to show that the group has a purpose that does not include making a profit.
    I am going to echo this--our guild did not pay an attorney or for an outside audit--we filled out the paperwork, file the annual tax return to show no profit, have an audit committee that goes over books annually, etc. Our non-profitstatus is not based on a set requirement for charitable work (although we do a ton)but on our mission to promote the art of quilting through education outreach. We do have a by-laws and policy procedures.
    Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 PM

I have belonged to a quilt group and 2 car clubs that all had tax exempt status with the IRS. I helped with the paperwork for one of the car clubs and agree with dunster and quiltingshorttimer -- we did not need lawyers or extensive paperwork. The quilt guild by-laws included having one meeting where we made charity quilts (though most of us made them all year). The by-laws can be changed so you can check on it.
    Old 12-10-2016, 07:57 AM

You can actually check the status of your guild, just google. Also every member should have a copy of the bylaws. The guild I belong to meets every month, 3rd Monday am hours. And we do make charity quilts. This year we made a large number of quilts for newborns in needy families. However, members are encouraged to make the baby quilts all year round, batting is given. A few members make Linus quilts. Every Sept, we have a sew-in! Meeting is short, covering only essentials. Members can also donate fabric. Since I was in charge this year, I asked for the donated fabric be cut into 6 1/2 squares, which made the sew-in more productive. Each person who stayed to sew was able to make 1-2 quilt tops. Backing fabric and batting was again provided and if the member wanted to finished the quilt then or take it home it was ok. They could finish them any way they chose, binding them either from the back to front or cutting their own binding. Machine or hand quilting or tie, it was all good. We will be collecting the finished quilts this month and giving them to an organization that works with the hospital nursery.
    Old 12-10-2016, 11:40 AM

You all should be proud that your Guild makes donation quilts. When I moved, I joined the local Guild and was appalled that they neither made or had interest in making donation quilts, even though they had lots of donated fabric. I quit them and make/give my own donation quilts. My previous Guild always had donation quilts on hand for community members who had a tragedy, death, fire, severe illness.