Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What do you use to mark your quilts? >
  • What do you use to mark your quilts?

• What do you use to mark your quilts?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer
    I don't hand quilt, but on the long arm I either use a Bohan chalk pencil or a F & P ceramic chalk pencil or a disappearing blue (with water) pen--several brands for this. I also just recently used a green Crayola Ultra Clean marker--it came right out of the fabric ,but discolored the poly thread I used to quilt with, so won't use it again with that.---but it did wash right out of the cotton fabric.
    I recently used the green to mark and it didn't all wash out the first time, so I rewashed it with warmer water, and it all came out. Don't know if it is just my imagination, but I think the Crayola washaways came out easier than the Ultra Clean ones. I think the last quilt I marked with them had to be washed twice. I guess it could have been the fabric type though. It was a white on white snowflake design.
    Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Totally agree with PaperPrincess!! I'll make scraps and test each. I test them to the limit ... hot water, hot iron, wash, soap, dryer, stitching through it (to make sure the marks don't transfer to the thread!). I try to test everything that my quilt might go through before it's done. Sometimes I'm testing multiple products for one quilt because (as an example in my navy and white quilt) my blue frixon pen will not show up on navy fabric, and my white sewline pencil will not show up on my white fabric.
    Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 PM

I use the Ultra Clean markers for most fabrics & a white dressmaker's pencil for very dark fabrics. Every so often, I find I need to spend a little extra time hand agitating the fabric, but I've done pretty much anything one could do to a quilt with them on & they've always come out for me. I only work with cotton or wool, though, so I don't know how they'd do with synthetic or semi-synthetic fibers.
    Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM

I like using chalk on the dark fabrics - but then I have to remark as I go. I use the Crayola Ultra Washable markers for most everything else. They have always washed out for me - - but I do spray with a mix of dishsoap and water before I put in the washer just to be sure (dish soap is cheaper than fabric pretreaters like Shout)
    Old 12-29-2016, 12:55 PM

In addition to the products mentioned above, I also like the waxy white crayon/pencil from Full Line Stencil company - it goes on easily, can be sharpened to a fine point if needed and irons off easily. It also lasts for awhile vs fading or brushing off like chalk can do.
    Old 12-29-2016, 06:54 PM

My favorite for marking dark fabrics is a white Generals CHARCOAL pencil. Stays on long enough, but brushes off nicely when it's time.
    Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 PM
    mim

I hand quilt and use air erasable pens as I do each square -- sometimes I have to re-mark as the moisture in the air can make them fade quickly

Mim
    Old 12-30-2016, 05:30 AM

I use Frixion pens for light fabrics. I have had no problem with them. If the quilt gets cold it will come back but once it is washed it is gone. I use the Fons and Porter mechanical pencils with the white lead. I just did a table runner for a gift and the marks erased easily with a HI-Polymer eraser from Staples.
    Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 AM

So does General make a white chalk pencil and a white charcoal pencil? And if so which is better to use or are they both good?
    Old 12-30-2016, 07:09 AM

I stick with the classic - old school Tailor's chalk, the kind that comes in a square. I have it in white, blue, red & yellow and it always washes out with no problems. That stuff has been around for forever, I consider it to be tried-and-true.

I also like the blue water-erase pens, but I have to be careful not to forget and iron those marks in. So often I stick with the chalk just to be on the safe side.