Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question on making travel pillow >

Question on making travel pillow

Question on making travel pillow

Old 07-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Here's a recent thread on neck pillows that you might find interesting. There's a link to the pattern too.
Neck Pillow
Old 07-06-2017, 02:59 PM

I made over 50 of those last year for my family and dance group (mostly ladies; one guy). They were a great hit; many of them have said they are the best pillows even for sleeping on at night; and some husbands have 'borrowed' them. I made mine out of various drapery scraps; they hold up well; you could make them reversible; fleece or minky on one side and a cooler fabric on the other, so the fleece fabric could be used in winter. I found also that it is easier to 'fill' them from one of the ends; rather than in the neck area. The hand stitching was a bite but on most no one could see where they were filled. Have fun.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Debbie jj - You can pick it apart and save the filling (I used buckwheat hulls when I made my 50 plus). My neighbor had one made from corduroy and it was getting thread bare so she brought it to me and asked if I could 'make a new one". So I picked it apart, took out and saved the hulls; flattened the fabric to make a pattern and remade it using her same hulls. SO - all that to say you can make a new one; then you could also make the pillowcase at the same time. Just a thought!
Old 07-06-2017, 04:34 PM

Is that what they're filled with ? Buckwheat hulls ?
Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 AM

Sewclog, I've thought about it doing just that, but I've got lazy! I've developed plantar faciitis in one of my feet, and the dr. said to stay off of it for a while after giving me a steroid shot in my heel. It helped for about a month, and I've been hobbling ever since -- again! But I've been "itching" to get back into my sewing room, and this may just be the incentive I need to get me there. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Debbie, i too must make a pillowcase for my heating pad. It is large, goes over my shoulders too. love it but it needs a cover. also, for PF problems in feet (i was hit with it too), get some comfortable shoes with rubber soles. i tried on some flip flops at Kohl's and felt like I was walking on a cloud. got them and a pair of sandals like them too. croft and barrow I think was the name.two colors, black with gray. I use them all the time!!

Last edited by nativetexan; 07-07-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Lots of ideas and I appreciate them all. I like the idea of making the top out of one type fabric and the bottom out of a different type. Maybe one cotton and one minky or flannel. Then I had planned to use the fiberfill for the inside. It is for my grandson when he travels and I don't want to take a chance of all those beans/rice falling out in the airport!! Plus it might make it a bit heavier to carry around. It would be good if only used at home though as you could even heat it up or put it in the freezer in the summer time.

Now I'm off to check out the line Oewme sent. Thank you!!