Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Coats and Clark plastic snags? Am I the only one? >
  • Coats and Clark plastic snags? Am I the only one?

• Coats and Clark plastic snags? Am I the only one?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM

I had a strange observation. My nearby Walmart Coats and Clark thread came on one of those spools with that little slit that caused me lots of headaches too. However, when I travel a distance to JoAnns, the Coats and Clark spools had the end cap. Strange....I wondered if C&C had a zillion of those spools with the slits in their store room and are trying to use them up at Walmarts, or are they just cheaper to make so Walmart gets them.
    Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon
    I had a strange observation. My nearby Walmart Coats and Clark thread came on one of those spools with that little slit that caused me lots of headaches too. However, when I travel a distance to JoAnns, the Coats and Clark spools had the end cap. Strange....I wondered if C&C had a zillion of those spools with the slits in their store room and are trying to use them up at Walmarts, or are they just cheaper to make so Walmart gets them.
    It's more likely that Walmart required concessions from C&C to keep them as a supplier and they found the cheaper way to do so. Walmart asks many suppliers to meet a certain price and it's up to the company to either meet that price point or not be on the store shelves.
    Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM
    Power Poster

yes, then i remember i have a larger disk to fit onto the spool. i use that for the most part now.no more problems.
    Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 AM
    Power Poster

speaking of thread brands, anyone know why connectingthreads now sells their threads with the center round "spool" poking out of both ends. I cannot stand it up anywhere now. Very irritating.
    Old 02-18-2018, 10:10 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GEMRM
    It's more likely that Walmart required concessions from C&C to keep them as a supplier and they found the cheaper way to do so. Walmart asks many suppliers to meet a certain price and it's up to the company to either meet that price point or not be on the store shelves.
    Or could it be that WalMart has the old style old inventory to get rid of it?
    Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    speaking of thread brands, anyone know why connectingthreads now sells their threads with the center round "spool" poking out of both ends. I cannot stand it up anywhere now. Very irritating.
    I know and it's very annoying.
    Old 02-18-2018, 10:49 AM
    Power Poster

You need the large spool cap that is bigger then the spool end. This lets the thread go up and then feed to the machine. If you do not have a large spool end, I would make a disc to go on before your small spool cap. Perhaps cut a margarine lid circle or drill a hole in a medicine bottle cap?
    Old 02-18-2018, 11:32 AM

I do think the newer spools are not made with the slot anymore.
    How about putting a small drop of glue on the slit then the thread won't catch?
    Old 02-18-2018, 03:42 PM
    Power Poster

Both of my straight stitch only machine, that I use all the time. Have round things that stick down onto the end of the spool holder keeps thread from touching any part of the spool.
    Old 02-18-2018, 04:00 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I got one spool at Walmart only because it is 1.5 mi there, about 9 to JAF, and 10.5 to my favorite quilt shop. It was so bad I threw it away and drove 10 mi to buy more. Until I got it home, I didn’t even realize it was the spool with the slit. Hadn’t seen one in years. Will never ever buy thread at Wally World again. Turning the spool didn’t help, tried both the vertical and horizontal spool holders, and the thread disc did nothing.