Singer 648 worth keeping?

Old 02-25-2018, 01:04 PM

I have payed 40 dollars for a dirty non working zigzagger that turned out very nice. I payed the equivalent of $85 for a Singer 201 needing a few minor replacment parts. I would never pay more than 180 for any machine, and it would have to be something very special. Later on I was given a 201 with a nice zigzag attachment. I think my limit these days is around $70 for a model I'm still intersted in. I can't give you any specific number, some machines go for next to nothing. The accessories with your machine is complete and sought after on it's own, would easily sell for $40.

These machines are worth most to an to an owner who use them and appreciate them. I hope it cleans up well.

Last edited by Mickey2; 02-25-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:13 PM

Is the wiring completely intact and not at all frayed? Plug is good? My biggest fear with used machines is always the fire hazard, or at the very least, a shock hazard. Of course they can be rewired, but unless you can do it yourself, that'll run you some money from a pro.

If it were me, I might give $5-10. I paid $7 for a fully working, vintage Kenmore from Goodwill for $7 a couple years ago. Have never used it a backup so I'm content with the amount.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I would think $10 is fair if it's working well. You are getting lots of cams, feet and accessories with it. Hope it turns out to be a good one!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Banned

If the machine is working well, with the complete accessory box and manual I'd give at least $25. Just the chain stitch parts are worth more than that.

Cari
Old 02-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Cari, I disagree. Leon sent me a 750 a few months ago as a donation for my kids. It worked. I cleaned it and oiled it. I took it to school and the gears under the bobbin disintegrated in about 2 weeks.

If it's a donation, you have no idea of how the machine has been treated and stored. My 778 is still going strong, but it has always been stored in the house and has not been used much. You have no idea of how a donation machine has been stored or used.

Of course, we don't know what makes the gears crumble. Is it just age? Does how it's been stored make a difference? If it's been used heavily, does that affect it? We don't know. You certainly can't speculate about one you find in a thrift store.

$25.00 is not all the money in the world. If the seller is a charitable organization, you can't lose. However, after dealing with a lot of touch and sews, I'd assume it will last a month or so after you start using it. $25.00 for a few of weeks of sewing is pretty expensive. If you want to donate to their cause, that is different.

As far as the accessories, it's nice. However, I would guess that very, very few of these T&S machines will be working in 20 years. There will not be much of a market for the accessories in the future.

Of course, it's just my opinion.

bkay
Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Banned

These machines do have their fans, and the gears are available. Just because one machine only lasted a few weeks doesn't mean they all will. The gears may have already been replaced like they were in the 630 I bought 8 years ago. we don't know. I stand by my opinion. A working machine complete with all of it's accessories and the manual is worth $25.

Cari
Old 02-26-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
I took it to school and the gears under the bobbin disintegrated in about 2 weeks...

...My 778 is still going strong, but it has always been stored in the house and has not been used much. You have no idea of how a donation machine has been stored or used...
The original poster hasn't had a chance to reply yet, but that's why I assume it's worth spending a bit of time and money on a machine like this. My experiences with plastic gears arent' that bad, they go on for up to 40 years on machines that's seen quite a lot of work. A service and repair will hold up. I haven't found a good explanation for why some gears crumble away and others don't. The only thing I have noticed very clearly is sun exposure, it can turn new plastics brittle within a year. Some hold up better than others there too. A fixer up like is usually handed to the next owner for free. I hope some take care of the T&S, especially the all metal and the ones that run very nicely.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 AM

Well, good news! I rethreaded the bobbin, rethreaded the top thread, and it sewed just fine! I opened up the top and the bottom and other than being a bit dirty, it looks good in there. The cord is good, no fraying, etc. I'm going to give it a good cleaning, both inside and out. With all of the parts, I think I'll chance the donation. It won't get used much because my purpose in having it is mainly to have a backup for when my main machine is getting serviced. Of course, I'm going to go back often to that thrift store and see what they get in.

I truly appreciate all of the advice. I'll update as I use it and see how it holds up!Schedule
Old 02-26-2018, 08:08 AM

You have to let us now about the fancy bobbin funcitons, I have yet to own one of these. I have only come as far as a bit of test sewing, and the owner held it in much higher regard than a newer light weight she had. Some track down these models for the chain stitch ability, only a few of them can.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Great! Glad to hear it works. I love mine. I volunteer with a 5th grade class that makes a quilt. They love this machine. It sews nicely and makes a good stitch. As others have said, it does a chain stitch and many decorative stitches.

bkay