Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt as wedding gift? >
  • Quilt as wedding gift?

• Quilt as wedding gift?

Old 06-26-2018, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

It would make a lovely gift but only if I found out first if the person wants one. Many people don't like them.
    Old 06-26-2018, 10:08 AM
    Power Poster

Another idea is a picnic quilt. Pack it in a basket with some inexpensive melamine tableware.
    Old 06-26-2018, 10:12 AM

You could also do a Christmas themed table runner and place mats and include a lovely note that you hope to help them start a family tradition with this set or something to that effect.

Watson
    Old 06-26-2018, 10:22 AM
    Power Poster

Unless that are sewers, they are going to think you gave them a blanket. Now to me a blanket is a nice wedding gift but for others, not so much. I think cash in an envelope is always a gift that is appreciated. I always right the amount on the card unless it is a check, so the couple know what was in the card. Depending on how their envelope box is secured, sometimes thefts occur.
    Old 06-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Since our son and DIL use a ratty old quilt with colors from the 80’s (mauve and country blue), I offered to make a new king size quilt in her choice of colors for them but she said no, so that’s that.
    Old 06-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Another idea is a picnic quilt. Pack it in a basket with some inexpensive melamine tableware.
    what a brilliant idea. Ready permission to use it hard. Forts and campouts and sleeping on the floor when company takes someones bed... My immediate family also thinks of quilts as "thank you for the blanket." not their fault. I don't want any sporting equipment or game apps they might be mad about.

for younger newlyweds just getting established I get a toolbox and put nail packet, hammer 2 big and 2 small of both kinds of screwdrivers, , measuring tape, short level, scissors...that is what I get thanked for later.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 06-26-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 PM

I gave too many quilts that I think were not appreciated. I tend to give a good cookbook or a nice picture frame or album.
    Old 06-26-2018, 01:57 PM

The wedding gift I still have and remember the giver is a SOLID wood cutting board. Have no fabric items from wedding gifts. I did receive things not on my registry. Most of those didn't fit my choices & exchanged all I could.

Being a quilter and 2D visual artist, I like to give something I made. I do some investigating as to their style and color preferences. And give something that isn't intended to be a focal point (bed spread, large wall hanging). I like the picnic idea. Also a table covering might be nice. The casserole carrier sounds good. Add some hot pads or insulated table runner.
    Old 06-26-2018, 02:51 PM

As much as we love quilts and appreciate the work and artistry involved, not everyone has the same appreciation. If you know the newlyweds would love to have a quilt, it is a wonderful gift.
    Old 06-26-2018, 03:22 PM

I like the idea of a fun quilt for lying under the stars on a peaceful night looking for shooting stars or can be taken on a picnic and not have to worry about it not being tough enough. I would never make a paper pieced quilt for anyone until I know that the people will value the quilt and use it tenderly.

For a first quilt for a couple, I like this label. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t242040.html