Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Enlarging an already completed bed quilt. >
  • Enlarging an already completed bed quilt.

• Enlarging an already completed bed quilt.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:45 PM
    Power Poster

Dina, you did a wonderful job enlarging those quilts.
    Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 AM

Dina, great job on that. Where there's a will, there's a way!
    Old 07-16-2018, 04:12 AM

Dina, that dark brown repeats the dark brown in the quilt, so it looks like a frame with matting. Wonderful "save."
    Old 07-16-2018, 04:17 AM

Consider buying a bedspread large enough to go all the way to the floor. Then place any quilt that no longer covers the mattress sides over the bedspread. It is a nice way to enjoy a treasured quilt. In my case, thanks to the mattress which is deeper than the previous mattress along with a 4-inch memory foam topper, I found a king size bedspread perfect for our queen bed. Bedspreads are somewhat difficult to find in stores, and they are more available online. Thin bedspreads are not easy to find, either.
    Old 07-16-2018, 04:21 AM

I just finished doing that. I have been telling people, if someone asks you to enlarge a quilt that is already finished, try really hard to avoid doing that. For me it was more difficult than doing it from scratch. I took the binding off and added blocks all the way around. For me there was a lot of hand work involved and I have a tendency to avoid handwork. I'm just glad it is done and the recipient likes it. I don't have any pictures at the moment.
    Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 AM

Dina. Thanks for your suggestion but I have a few questions...When you sewed the addition to the quilt was the quilt on the top or the addition? Looks like your binding was the same fabric as your original border. However my binding contrasts with my border. I worry that if my sewing wasn't perfect it would really show. How wide is your hem? I'm thinking of sewing the addition in a six inch tube so that there are no raw edges but worry that would be too much bulk when sewing onto the binding. I love your quilt! You did a great job enlarging it.!

Last edited by janjanq; 07-16-2018 at 05:21 AM.
    Old 07-16-2018, 07:11 AM

You can add additional borders using the 'quilt as you go' techniques (slightly modified). Attach the back border and the front border to the trimmed 'new' edge. If adding 2 borders, I would recommend using one wider piece of batting rather than 2 pieces. Then bind as usual. I used this technique to add two 4" borders to my daughter's lap size quilt and it worked perfectly.
    Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq
    Dina. Thanks for your suggestion but I have a few questions...When you sewed the addition to the quilt was the quilt on the top or the addition? Looks like your binding was the same fabric as your original border. However my binding contrasts with my border. I worry that if my sewing wasn't perfect it would really show. How wide is your hem? I'm thinking of sewing the addition in a six inch tube so that there are no raw edges but worry that would be too much bulk when sewing onto the binding. I love your quilt! You did a great job enlarging it.!
    When I added the new border to the binding, I just lined the edges up like I normally sew, right sides together. I sewed a 1/4 inch seam. One wasn't over the other. To do this, I sort of sewed right down the middle of the binding. My binding is the same as the border, so it blended right in, but I don't think it would matter if it was a different color binding. It wouldn't show up much at all.

I have taken pictures of both the top and bottom of this quilt, which I will attach after I answer your questions. Perhaps they will help. You may have to squint at the first picture to even see the part of the binding that peeks through.

I made a very small hem, probably 1/2 inch. First I ironed 1/4 inch and then I folded that over and ironed 1/2 inch. It left an easy surface to sew. I made the new border six inches.

I hope this is helpful.

edited....the pictures ended up very close together. The light fabric with the tiny squiggle is the backing of my quilt in the second picture. The first picture is the bottom of the front of the quilt. The second is the back flipped up so you can see what it looks like from the back.

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails b1.jpg   b2.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 07-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dina
    When I added the new border to the binding, I just lined the edges up like I normally sew, right sides together. I sewed a 1/4 inch seam. One wasn't over the other. To do this, I sort of sewed right down the middle of the binding. My binding is the same as the border, so it blended right in, but I don't think it would matter if it was a different color binding. It wouldn't show up much at all.

I have taken pictures of both the top and bottom of this quilt, which I will attach after I answer your questions. Perhaps they will help. You may have to squint at the first picture to even see the part of the binding that peeks through.

I made a very small hem, probably 1/2 inch. First I ironed 1/4 inch and then I folded that over and ironed 1/2 inch. It left an easy surface to sew. I made the new border six inches.

I hope this is helpful.

edited....the pictures ended up very close together. The light fabric with the tiny squiggle is the backing of my quilt in the second picture. The first picture is the bottom of the front of the quilt. The second is the back flipped up so you can see what it looks like from the back.

Dina
    Ok, I think I get it now. I was worried about the raw seam edge but I see now that it's covered on the underside by the binding. Thanks.
    Old 07-17-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by klswift
    You can add additional borders using the 'quilt as you go' techniques (slightly modified). Attach the back border and the front border to the trimmed 'new' edge. If adding 2 borders, I would recommend using one wider piece of batting rather than 2 pieces. Then bind as usual. I used this technique to add two 4" borders to my daughter's lap size quilt and it worked perfectly.
    I thought about QAYG but I've never done it before. Maybe I'll try it on a small project first. I'd hate to ruin my queen size quilt by botching a first attempt at QAYG. Thank you. Will consider this!