Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Save sewing machine box? >
  • Save sewing machine box?

• Save sewing machine box?

Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 AM

I keep my boxes even though they take up a lot of room. When I take a machine for servicing, I load it into its box. I figure the styrofoam protects it on the ride over.
    Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    That depends on the dealer. For years I kept all boxes, that adds up. Then when I got my Babylock I was told that wasn't needed. So I threw them away. When I had to send my Sashiko back, I was asked about the box and I told them I was told that I didn't need to keep them. She said it was ok and they found a box and sent it back for me. I have several big machines and it would take up so much space to save all of the boxes.
    on an added note, the machine that I sent to Babylock, the box they shipped it back in was way better than the one I bought it in. That machine would have to have been dropped out of an airplane to have broken. I've never seen such a better protected machine, ever.
    Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    Personally if one word is all caps I don't think of it as shouting but just emphasizing that word, but if all are, then it kind of assails my eyes. LOL (Now, that's all caps) Now back to the original thoughts: Unfortunately I didn't save the styrofoam so I guess I may as well ditch the box, EXCEPT that it is full of scraps that I dumped in there when we moved. Happy quilting Still Sew N.
    I completely agree. One word in caps is not shouting. It is a completely acceptable form of emphasis on the net, and it helps the reader to understand the writer's thoughts.

I also save my boxes, not only for sewing machines but for appliances like TV's. Now those are big boxes!
    Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM

I also saved the box, (and other boxes) but I don't save the packing or styrofoam. However, I break all the boxes down. If I need it to return/send back I just re-tape it. All boxes get stored in the closet built under the stairs leading to lower level. Closet was originally designed as a tornado shelter...only used it once in 20+ years!!
    Old 01-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by lyric girl
    If you ever plan on selling it to someone who is not local, it is helpful.
    I have kept mine too...just in case.
    Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 AM

When I bought my Janome my dealer said I could trade up my machine for full value up to 6 months post purchase if I had the box and all the packing. My Viking dealer said it didn't matter to him so I let him keep the box and just took my machine home (he kept the trade in value for a year). I save boxes if I am going to store something in it. Otherwise to me they are bug hotels and fire hazards.
    Old 01-07-2019, 10:59 AM

The only boxes I keep are the ones for small appliances that I have purchased. Since I don't use them on a regular basis, I store them in a box on a shelf in my pantry. It's easier to stack them and all the parts for each one are stored with them.
    Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM

I kept mine which came in very useful when moving house and when sent away for servicing. The box lives under the stairs when not in use.
    Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 AM
    Power Poster

you could flatten it and store it. then if needed, open it up and tape all openings well. every time I get rid of a box, i need it!
    Old 01-07-2019, 05:48 PM

I saved mine for the repair shipping reason. Out in the garage out of sight, just gathering dust!