Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll >
  • I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll

• I Finally Bought a Jelly Roll

Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM

I recently used my first package of precut strips. This package (just 14 strips, not a full jelly roll), did not have pinked edges. I enjoyed working with them but a couple of the strips had what I considered bad Vs at the center and then quarter folds. Fabric was exact and consistent width, but had been folded on the bolt badly during the manufacturing process. For my project and cuts it wasn't an issue but it was enough to skew a jelly roll race or skimp a seam allowance here and there.

I'm a big believer in pre-washing. I know a lot of you are used to working with unwashed materials but it does add a slight stress level to me.
    Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 AM

If your pinked strips are measuring slightly over 2 1/2 inches, try measuring from the valley of the pinked edge instead of the peaks. Some manufactures measure from the peaks, some from the valley, so it's always best to measure any pre-cut that has pinked edges.
    Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM

On Donna Jordan's videos sometimes she has 'trimmed' the pinked edges when she uses other than her own fabrics which her husband Matt cuts (no pinked edges); other times she says to use the inside of the pinked edge as your actual edge of the fabric; not the outer part. Hope this helps some.
    Old 07-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Tartan - I'll take it off your hands. I love jelly rolls. I've bought all different manufacturers. The only ones I didn't like were the ones I bought from Walmart. When sewing the pinked ones just line up the points. If not exactly the correct width... usually when I'm working with them I'm making bargellos and other strips designs. In the grand scheme of things, the variance isn't noticeable. Of course... I'll never win any prizes - well that's wrong I won Machine made & quilted grand champion at a small rural fair - my quilts are just meant to be pretty, serviceable and warm.
    Old 07-12-2019, 02:41 PM

I don’t like the pinked edges either.
    Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM

I am so surprised that so many of you don’t like the pinked edges? I would so much rather have the pinked edges than the frayed edges of the other ones. They even look horrible with all the frayed edges all over the place. I just used a white jelly roll that had pinked edges and for the very first time I noticed they were slightly wider than 2 1/2 inches, never noticed that before but like I said it was white solid usually when I use a jelly roll it’s the complete line of the fabric. I guess you just can’t make everyone happy!
    Old 07-13-2019, 12:23 AM

I try to ignore them and most of the time it works for me. They do make it easier to line up the edges prior to sewing.
    Old 07-13-2019, 03:59 AM

I love precuts, and specifically jelly rolls. I do a lot of charity quilting and having one less step to do is a big time saver. I have learned to measure first so if they are slightly over 2 1/2" I can trim the excess or just work with it. I like the convenience of having the entire collection to work with. That is another time saver over having to sort through the stash.
    Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 AM

I bought a robert kaufman jelly roll wasn't pinked but it was frayed badly was able to work with it just barley keeping the frayed edges within the 1/4 in seam and hoping the quilting helps hold the seam together don't think i'll ever buy another jelly roll
    Old 07-13-2019, 04:52 AM

I have had several precuts...the rolls, the 10" and 5" squares, all with pinked edges. I agree with others that one considers the top of the pinked edge as the place to measure the 1/4" from, but often the strips are not a true 2 1/2".
    Precuts are a good idea, but not for me anymore.